NTSC safe colour monitoring

2865   1   0
18 posts
Hello

I recently spoke with someone who works with Houdini on a regular basis, but on Irix.

He showed me a feature in iplay called Scope which allows you to monitor the colours in your renderings so that they appear correctly when transferred to video tape.

I was unable to find this feature in the Windows version of Houdini Apprentice 6, and I was wondering if someone could show me where I could find it. Thanks!

phoenix1606
4140 posts
In mplay, Ctl-RMB over the image and you'll see an entry for histogram. AFAIK, this is the closest thing to the scope option in the older version of iplay. There's a lot of choices there, but I haven't seem anything that relates specifically to legal vid levels for any standard, let alone NTSC. I'm guessing there's no support for this yet.
I will tell you, though, that this feature way back in iplay was *sort of* useful, but personally I never trusted it completely. In the end, you need to see your image in a (digital or not) video environment and look at a good quality scope. I didn't use it much because I was always nervous that I'd be incorrectly cutting back on the “punch” of the image based on a semi-correct virtual scope.
I think a number of people used it, though…
What would be better for me is a VidSafe COP, frankly, that clips any nastiness for me. While I might not use it for final, it would give a great visual feedback for trouble areas.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links