a question about renderman

5015   5   2
313 posts
I am trying to render a tif sequence in houdini using the renderman renderer. But I could only successfully have the first image rendered out of the whole sequence. All the rib files were generated with no problem.
The main problem is it does not continue to render the second frame after the first frame is rendered.

The error message that I received is“could not write out to the script or pipe failed to complete render: rman1”

Does anyone there know what I should do to solve this problem.
225 posts
what version of rendernman are u using, and what's your sys-config?

Can't check this one out since i'm an apprentice, but I had a similar problem with maya and renderman 11. Think I used flat rib instead of delayed read archive for ribgen to get around it. I'm sure there's a simpler fix though

Anyway you might want to run through the usual suspects checklist: Enough disk space, write permissions where u're trying to save out the images, correct output driver settings, blah blah

tallkien
543 posts
brucelay
I am trying to render a tif sequence in houdini using the renderman renderer. But I could only successfully have the first image rendered out of the whole sequence. All the rib files were generated with no problem.
The main problem is it does not continue to render the second frame after the first frame is rendered.

The error message that I received is“could not write out to the script or pipe failed to complete render: rman1”

Does anyone there know what I should do to solve this problem.

Hi there,

I'm a bit confused by your message, let me ask, if you've been able to write out all the RIB files, have you tried rendering them “without” Houdini, i.e. with a shell command or script?

Further, when you start a RenderMan render in Houdini, it should act the same as in Mantra, just rendering each from out one after another, and there's no RIB file generated as all the RIB stream is piped to prman through stdin/stdout. Are you using Alfred to manage the RenderMan job?

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
313 posts
Mark

I did not use aflred. I just type “prman” as the render command.
i tried to use “prman” command to render those sequence. It worked.

prman aaa.1.rib
prman aaa.2.rib
prman aaa.3.rib

it worked in the shell! (But Houdini would just do the first frame for me!)

Brucelay
543 posts
brucelay
I just type “prman” as the render command.
i tried to use “prman” command to render those sequence. It worked.

prman aaa.1.rib
prman aaa.2.rib
prman aaa.3.rib

Hi,

Have you tried creating a new RenderMan ROP and just using the default parameters? The command to render with prman is “render”, not “prman” … Try starting with the default parameters in the Houdini RenderMan ROP and see if that works … If Houdini is creating RIB files, then the “Create Script” toggle must be checked, which is not what you want if you'd like Houdini to start and control your render job.

–Mark
543 posts
Forgot to mention that you could use a different RenderMan compliant renderer in case the problem is with prman somehow. In that case, for BMRT let's say, simply use “rendrib” for your render command. Assuming rendrib is in your path, you won't have license server issues to deal with (in case that's the problem with your RenderMan command).

–Mark
  • Quick Links