HDK

5039   11   0
14 posts
Hi

I am using Houdini Apprentice 9.5 and was trying to do a bit of HDK programming. At first before coding my own SOP, I tried to compile one of the examples in the toolkit directory (StarSOP). It compiles fine and the corresponding dll is generated and Houdini Apprentice loads the dll as well ( I get the SOP in the tab menu in Geometry) but the moment I select it and press Enter, the application crashes (Segmentation fault). Has anyone tried this before? I dont have any idea why this happens. Is it because I am using the Apprentice edition?

thanks
7740 posts
Make sure it is recompiled with your new Houdini version.
14 posts
Yes I am using the latest Houdini 9.5.241. Funny thing is it is happening with three custom SOPs I tried (2 from the samples and one which I coded). I compiled them with hcustom. I am not using any external library. Just plain default code. eg: hcustom SOP_Star.C

So there cant be any improper linking problem.

Below is the crash log ————————-

Crash report from asomasekharan; Houdini Master Version 9.5.241
Traceback from Mon Dec 01 18:10:21 2008
Caught signal 11
+0x08e613f5

———————————————
7740 posts
64-bit vs 32-bit conflict?
14 posts
I have the 32 bit installer. Been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the SOPs arent working. I am using Windows Vista. Can that be a problem? But Houdini is working fine, no hiccups. Its just the dlls of the custom SOPs. I guess its working for you. The dll size is 48kb (SOP_Star.dll). Is there any discrepancy in that?If any library is missing, then the size would be different right?
7740 posts
Are you using Vista 32-bit? If you type “cl” at the command line, make sure it's the 32-bit compiler. If it's Vista, try turning off UAC. You might also want to try the latest 9.5 daily build.
14 posts
Ya I am using the 32bit cl. I tried the same Houdini build (9.5.241) and compiled the SOP_Star and SOP_Flatten on my XP machine.

Config

MS Windows XP Professional
Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Machine config

Dual Processor Pentium 3.2Ghz, 3.19Ghz, 2.0Gb RAM
Nvidia 7800GTX

The SOPs dont work on this machine as well. Are there any environment variables to be set? Where do I get the daily builds? When I execute the Flatten SOP, I get the following crash log

Crash report from asomasekharan; Houdini Master Version 9.5.241
Traceback from Tue Dec 02 18:14:43 2008
Caught signal 11
+0x04813904

I didnt get achance to try out on Vista again, but I'll do what you said. Thanks for all the help btw. It cant be the problem with the code, since it has worked before on other users machines I suppose. So logically it has to be some configuration or compilation problem??
11 posts
Are you sure you are using the same MFC Version and the same linking option (static/dynamic) as your Houdini installation ?
14 posts
I am not using MFC. The compiler is the 32-bit cl.exe which is called by hcustom.exe.
14 posts
Does having a previous version of Houdini affect compiliation? I had version 9.0 which I uninstalled before installing version 9.5.241.
14 posts
Finally it works!!! I think it was a build problem. I downloaded the latest build and I had no problem. . Thanks for everything guys especially edward.
14 posts
Just coded my own custom operator after all the trouble …I wrote a PyramidSOP. Heres the screenshot..Nothing great, but its a small glory!

Attachments:
PyramidSOP.JPG (103.6 KB)

• Quick Links