rotate an object according to its primitives?

3547   5   1
245 posts
Dear UserGroup:

I would like to know how I could rotate an object that has multiple primitives, a polysphere for example, and do it so that it faces the direction of a selected primitive on that object. I tried looking into the documentation for Primitive Sop rotation but this rotates a group of primitives that have been faceted individually like a flip-board digital display. I need the entire object. If I bypass the facet sop in this example it still rotates individual primitives. I am thinking something with attribute transfer would work but am not sure how to go about doing it just yet.

Sincerely,
markerline
245 posts
sorry guys/gals:

I meant to post this question in Apprentice.

-markerline
12474 posts
Do you think the Align SOP might help you?
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
245 posts
Dear Jason:

I will try that but I posted a previous question related to the extrude sop and alignment of primitives (using the align sop) without responses. I have had difficulty aligning primitives. Not meaning to bring up other software but (and although it's not procedural) _ _ _ _ has a point to point snap function which will take selected vertices/points and align objects that way. Let me try the align sop again and get back to you with results.

Thanks,
markerline
12474 posts
markerline
Dear Jason:

I will try that but I posted a previous question related to the extrude sop and alignment of primitives (using the align sop) without responses. I have had difficulty aligning primitives. Not meaning to bring up other software but (and although it's not procedural) _ _ _ _ has a point to point snap function which will take selected vertices/points and align objects that way. Let me try the align sop again and get back to you with results.

Thanks,
markerline

Oh, look at the Rivet Object for that type of thing. If you run the Rivet tool from the viewport, you can easily interactively select points/edges to snap to.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
245 posts
Hi Jason,

I just tried looking up the info on how to use the Rivet Object. I had to google it as I could not find example files/instructions within the online help page(s).

Anyway, when I used the object I was working from within one object only. I had a subdivided box which had a grouped-out/deleted-out face/primitive which I then used as my selection object for the rivet tool.

This kicked me out to object space where the rivet object was created. I then followed the instructions to pipe in the rivet object into geo1. This moved my object to the face that I had selected.

However, after disconnecting the rivet object to see if my original position would come back, it didn't. My entire world axis had been rearranged and even after deleting all scene objects and creating a new object, the “riveted” world axis was there askew to the construction plane and the correct x/y/z coordinates of 0-right,0-up,0-front.

How do I properly use this tool?

www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini8/content/base/model_rivet.xml

caution, Internet Explorer may not properly display this page so use Firefox instead.

Sincerely,
markerline
  • Quick Links