Path Object? (similar to Maya?)

3860   5   1
245 posts
Dear Readers:

I wanted to create a simple animation of a piece of geometry following the path of a curve and also deforming along the curve. I thought I could append a lattice SOP to the network but I do not know how to promote this SOP into a deformable object at Object level to go into the “Path Object” parameter.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(The reference for this is Maya's “Flow Path Object”)

Sincerely,
markerline
245 posts
Dear Readers:

Please don't laugh. This file doesn't look nearly like I would like it to. However I wonder if my workflow is correct or am I completely off-base? Please respond with any ideas. File attached.

Sincerely,
markerline

Attachments:
starcycle.hip (120.8 KB)

245 posts
I forgot to mention. The animation takes place in the first 25 frames so you can scrub through these frames to see a deformation. Go into the “Latticed…” network and inspect the wire capture/deform nodes and also the carve and align nodes. Animation channels are in the carve sop.
245 posts
Dear Readers:

The attached movie shows an illustration of the type of graphical style I am looking to achieve. However, in place of simple geometry I am looking to use text that morphs around the star shape.

Instead of wire-deforms I used a carve sop and animated the shift of the vertices along the star shape to achieve a continuous loop of arrows moving along that shape. If anyone wants the hip file let me know.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can replace the tails of the arrows with any geometry to have it morph along the form of the star (not just follow the path of the star) then I would like to know this as well.

Sincerely,
markerline

Attachments:
star_cycle_C_s.mov (3.2 MB)

2624 posts
Hi
Could this HDA be of use

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=149 [sidefx.com]

Rob
Gone fishing
245 posts
Wow, Rob: That's a really cool asset. Would be nice if I knew VEX so I could customize it a little (haven't yet figured out how to tweak fonts around a curve with this utility). I will look for VEX tutorials.

Thanks again.

-markerline
  • Quick Links