BUG/RFE: locking shelves

2952   1   0
201 posts
H9.5

To prevent users from saving tools into custom shelves (and shelf sets), I need to change permission on the .shelf file so it's read-only. During a Houdini session, if I try to create a new tool in the locked shelf, a warning pops up saying:

Could not save some of the shelf elements to their definition files.
Cannot write to file ‘c:/temp/houdini9.5/toolbar/myshelf.shelf’.

Fine … nice to see a warning. However, when I hit OK, the window disappears & in the shelf is a new tool! When I quit Houdini, I look inside my $HOME/houdini9.5/toolbar/default.shelf to see that new tool. Worst of all, it's orphaned :cry: Hmm … to me this seems very unlike Houdini to leave junk in a file. Is this suppose to happen? btw. when I restart Houdini, the new tool doesn't show up in the shelf (to be expected).

RFE: if a shelf is ‘locked’ then it shouldn't try to add tools anywhere … period. And I think I mentioned this before but I'll mention it again. Instead of chmod'ing a shelf file, should append a .nosave extension … like we do with desktops & preference files.

Cheers,
Rob
Cheers,
Rob
Digital Supervisor | Stargate Studios Toronto
Staff
1449 posts
Yeah, something does not seem right.

What's supposed to happen if you try to add a new tool to a shelf that is defined in a read-only file is that the new tool AND a new re-definition of the shelf should be saved in the default file. Thus the new tool is supposed to be referenced by the redefined shelf and it should show up when you restart houdini. Which is what is happening on my machine when I try it.
  • Quick Links