Adding extra parameters to Magnet/metaball deformations

5881   7   1
18 posts
Hi, Magicians!

I need to add to my cubes an incremental 360 degrees rotation behavior when metaball pass through it. For a while it's only transforming XYZ values

i've tried to wire my cube through a TransformAxis node, but obviously it is affecting the whole object instead of affecting based on metaball influence area.

Any clues?

thanks in advance!

Attachments:
Picture 1.png (257.1 KB)

311 posts
think about getting the magnet to set a colour attribute on your grid object, so as the metaball passes through the grid will set values between 0-1.

This attribute can then be used in the copy SOP as a multiplier to get the cubes spinning.

Eg $CR*360
18 posts
getting the magnet to set a colour attribute on your grid object

Man, sorry, i'm so newbie…:roll:
can you please explain step by step?

thank you very much

homer
1192 posts
This means you are too newbie actually for the thing you try to accomplish. Read the help, do the tutorials, master the basics and then you'll be able to understand what others tell you when they want to be helpful, instead of just asking for more.
The effort should be yours in the first place, others can help but not do the work for you.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
18 posts
Friendly Dragos,

The words you spend criticizing me you could spend helping me out or lightning a little bit more my confuse newbie mind.

I've made great effort to acomplish my objective, as you can see in my picture, i'm not here begging you to make my entire project from scratch.
Sometimes is difficult to me understand some things even reading the online help.

I think there is so many users, someone surely will have a little more patience to explain.

Thank you

Homer
311 posts
As a noob you need to know you can do a great many things with Houdini.

It is VERY important to understand that unlike other packages attributes, such as colour, normals, velocity, are just data, just numbers.

Once you understand this you can use that data to do anything. It is just a value to be manipulated.

If you look at the example file you can see how colour is used to create an attribute called “spin” which is used in the copy SOP to rotate the cubes.

You should use the textport and type “help” and “exhelp” to get a list of expression commands in houdini. You can then see how the point() and opinputpath() expressions are used in the attributecreate SOP to find the colour value from the input SOP.

Also please look at the learning materials on-line and included with Apprentice. There is valuable information in there which will be very useful to your learning experience.

Good Luck!

Attachments:
example.hip (56.4 KB)

18 posts
Now i can see the whole process and understand with more clarity, soon i'll be able to replicate this technique in my further projects.

Thanks for your patience, Jesta.
18 posts
Hey Jesta!

I've studied your example and based in your network i've added my own SIZE attribute, driven by color info.

I like the effect! It seems like particles, uhm?
I'm amazed how easy is to make nice things in houdini

so, i dedicate this to you…my first procedural animation.

Thanks, man!

Rename the file extension with “.mp4”

Attachments:
my first procedural.jpg (182.4 KB)

• Quick Links