Custom image format

5577   9   0
2 posts
How do we get our custom image format to show up? this is what we've done:

- installed IMG_Dpx.so in ~/houdini10.0/dso/fb
- made a copy of FBformats, put it in HOUDINI_PATH, and added the line fb/IMG_Dpx.so
- made a copy of FBfiles, added dpx to the end

But mplay and iconvert don't show it. We tried compiling the IMG_Raw example as well and added it in the same places, but it doesn't show up either.

thanks
4140 posts
Errr…please do share…where did this IMG_Dpx.so come from?

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
Staff
5161 posts
Try setting the environment variable HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR and see if it's failing to load (this will spit out error messages if a dso/dll fails to load). You'll want to make sure that your version of the files is indeed being picked up with the path search as well.
2 posts
twod
Try setting the environment variable HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR and see if it's failing to load (this will spit out error messages if a dso/dll fails to load). You'll want to make sure that your version of the files is indeed being picked up with the path search as well.

Yup, tried that. We can force an error by removing #include <UT/UT_DSOVersion>. With that in place there are no error messages. It's weird.

Has something changed in 10?
71 posts
JColdrick
Errr…please do share…where did this IMG_Dpx.so come from?

Hey JC! We need one, so we wrote one. The file format is pretty straightforward (it's on cineon.com) and there's a reference implementation in ImageMagick (dpx.c). Shouldn't be a problem to share it once it's working.

We've only implemented 10-bit log reading, no writing or support for other esoteric DPX features.

cheers,
-Mark
Staff
5161 posts
- made a copy of FBformats, put it in HOUDINI_PATH, and added the line fb/IMG_Dpx.so

Missed this on my first read - leave off the fb/ and it should work.

We've only implemented 10-bit log reading, no writing or support for other esoteric DPX features.

Yeah, as long as you stick to 10b log, it's pretty straight-forward. The other DPX features (multiple data planes, encoding formats, data types, metadata, etc) are what make it a headache. AFAIK, very few applications support the full DPX spec.
4140 posts
I realized after posting…custom format…doh.

Errr, it goes without saying there's been an RFE for a while getting this officially shipped with Houdini so I won't belabour that…but I'm curious - what's the dealio with the format - is there some sort of licensing issue? My understanding is dpx is sort of a parent of cineon, as far as family of formats goes. I think as an end user I'd be super happy with just getting the basic image layers for starters(altho time code seems to be the most common metadata being used out there and would be a bonus). All the constantly changing metadata is nice, but not critical for starters.

Cheers,

J.C.

P.S. Yeah that would be great if sharing is a possibility once you get things up and running Mark, thanks!
John Coldrick
71 posts
twod
Missed this on my first read - leave off the fb/ and it should work.

Tried that too, we just get the error message “Ignoring unrecognized image format IMG_Dpx.so”. HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR is set. We also tried putting UT_ASSERT(false) in the IMG_Dpx constructor. It's not called, so it doesn't appear to be registering the dso.

We have the same results with the IMG_Raw example. Could you try compiling that with hcustom, modifying FBformats/FBfiles and seeing what happens?

thanks
71 posts
Never mind, found the problem.
71 posts
There is now source code for a minimal IMG_Dpx.so plugin on the Exchange (compositing section).

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=135 [sidefx.com]

Also attached here.

cheers,
-Mark

Attachments:
IMG_Dpx.zip (4.7 KB)

• Quick Links