Chops and Audio

5370   7   1
13 posts
I am having problems getting any sound out of chops. When following the quick start guide to getting audio running in Chops (default wave op into a default oscillator op with audio flag on). The audio panel, when switched to test (should give me a tone which oscillates up and down) displays the error “Invalid audio chop”. I can also manage to import .wav files into the graph viewport in chops yet when selecting timeline in the audio panel I receive the same error. I have tried using .aiff files as well. Can anyone point out a problem with my method thus far? Your help would be great. Thanks.
7715 posts
Make sure you have the audio (turquoise) flag turn on in your chop.
13 posts
Thanks for the hint Ed, but I did state in the first post that I do have the audio flag turned on.
Staff
5158 posts
If you're on Linux, check the permissions on /dev/dsp - you should have full read/write access to it. If you don't, Houdini won't be able to open it (and thus won't play any audio).

Also, sometimes the audio panel gets a bit grumpy, and you need to toggle the audio flag off & then on again for it to pick up the change.
7715 posts
Did you pick the wave chop using the plus (+) button?
13 posts
Well we are using Windows 2000 for the os in the lab, so no problems with Linux are applicable unfortunately, I should have specified that earlier. Edward, in the audio panel, underneath the Off/TimeLine/TimeSlice/Test checkboxes, there are two drop down menus. When I select the first one, I get nothing to choose from and when I select the 2nd drop down list there is only one chop to select from and its called “Audio CHOP” Once again the error I get at the bottom of the audio panel is “Invalid Chop specified”.
Thanks for your help gentlemen.
13 posts
Well Just wanted to clear up this problem. The error I was receiving was caused by creating a CHOP network object, and then proceding into that object to handle the sounds. The Audio Panel then gets grumpy and does not allow you to select which channel you are operating in. So I deleted the CHOP network object and went directly into chops, this allowed me to pick “ch1” in the audio panel and my playback of sound was successful.
Thanks for your help.
7715 posts
Whoops, sorry! I had assumed wrongly that you were using 6.1
  • Quick Links