Tsunami huge wave!

18274   10   0
14 posts
Hello!!

I've been looking for different techniques to make a huge wave destroying a city! As for sure, one of my references is “the day after tomorrow”!
I've seen some of the tutorials like “Particle Spray on Waves”, “ Fluids Technical Evening”, and “Introduction to fluid Dynamics” which are very useful for water sims, and shattering glasses, etc…

But I couldn't figure out on how to do the tsunami wave! What would be the best way to do it?

best regards,
Tal
1 posts
I'd like to know more about this, too. Especially simulating capillary waves seems unknown to me. Probably because i'm a total noob.
6 posts
Hi.

Did u figure out the techniques to make a huge wave. Past 20days im trying different methods in houdini… still haven't got what i have in mind or anything close to that of “Fluids Technical Evening - ”, If ur interested I'd like to share…

Thanks
Shan
1145 posts
If you're trying to do a tsunami sized wave in fluids, STOP! Giant waves are modeled and often animated by hand, with some automation built in.

Read this, an excellent discussion on how to approach this task.
http://polygrail.blogspot.com/2007/08/siggraph-2007-surfs-up-course-notes.html [polygrail.blogspot.com]

And yes, you can build all of this in houdini.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
1 posts
What is the distinction between a “storm surge” and a tsunami? At Galveston, Texas, in 1900, a great storm surge occurred as a result of a hurricane. 8000 perished when sea water consumed the island. Should that surge be considered a tsunami?
Edited by - June 22, 2009 06:11:10
i need help
5 posts
You could use multiple Grids to do this. Put a sin wave through the points. The amplitude would have to be big. shouldn't be hard. I have a otl I made with three formulas that should be able to do it. I was thinking about posting it here. SESI provided my class with the forumulas.
5 posts
Put each of the three formulas on a seperate sop point node in the Y position.

1. drop a grid node in sops.
2. drop three point nodes after the grid
3. add each formula to the y position, naturally only one formula per point node.
4. dont remember why I did this but add a convert node at the end.
5. stir the water have fun lol.
6. if you want to create an otl out of this you could add three subnets in sops, and for each number create a variable. I did took a awhile. about 36 or so variables. But it is sweet.
In the subnets you will need to use a null nod and attach the attribute create node, all of them to the null for it to work. It is alot of work.
Just wanted to say to Jeff at SESI thanks for providing the class with these formulas.

Never tried to make a tsunami with this but it could very well work.

Digital Domain used their in house software , IF i remeber correctly to create the huge waves, my understanding is that they used multiple grids.

noiseroll($TX,$TZ,37,1.4,10,2,0.6,0.5,$T*0.5)*0.015

$TY+noiseroll($TX+100,$TZ,29,.22,.5,2.3,0.4,0.3,$T*0.2)*0.15+noiseroll($TX,$TZ+100,4.7,2,2,4,0.2,0.4,$T*0.3)*0.017

$TY*$BBZ*0.5

The Effectspanda………
43 posts
effectspanda
i think you could write a tutorial on that tsunami effect with images and everthing,
couse there are many people who want to know how to doit…..
thaks 4 the help tips…
i hope you do the tutorial
523 posts
effectspanda
Put each of the three formulas on a seperate sop point node in the Y position.

1. drop a grid node in sops.
2. drop three point nodes after the grid
3. add each formula to the y position, naturally only one formula per point node.
4. dont remember why I did this but add a convert node at the end.
5. stir the water have fun lol.
6. if you want to create an otl out of this you could add three subnets in sops, and for each number create a variable. I did took a awhile. about 36 or so variables. But it is sweet.
In the subnets you will need to use a null nod and attach the attribute create node, all of them to the null for it to work. It is alot of work.
Just wanted to say to Jeff at SESI thanks for providing the class with these formulas.

Never tried to make a tsunami with this but it could very well work.

Digital Domain used their in house software , IF i remeber correctly to create the huge waves, my understanding is that they used multiple grids.

noiseroll($TX,$TZ,37,1.4,10,2,0.6,0.5,$T*0.5)*0.015

$TY+noiseroll($TX+100,$TZ,29,.22,.5,2.3,0.4,0.3,$T*0.2)*0.15+noiseroll($TX,$TZ+100,4.7,2,2,4,0.2,0.4,$T*0.3)*0.017

$TY*$BBZ*0.5

The Effectspanda………

Hello,

inputting expressions in point sops give errors with H10….(red flags) and no graphic results.

thanks,

bern
1769 posts
hi Bernard, download the scene on the exchange, and You will see that noiseroll is a custom expression.
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
Staff
3455 posts
have a look at this as well:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=600&Itemid=216 [sidefx.com]
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links