Compositing nodes -fatal error

6748   10   2
861 posts
I get a lot of fatal errors with Compositing nodes. I do simple setups and it crashes so many times it's almost not usuable.

Are the compositing features known to be flaky or is that just my machine?
--
Jobless
57 posts
The compositing tools work pretty well here but I did put in a bug report last week for issues that I was having with the Huecurve tool on 64 bit windows. No crashing here though, just a bunch of errors and garbled output with that particular operator that disappeared when I removed it from the network.
166 posts
Houdini also instantly crash when missing a frame in a tif sequence with an override on the frame range.

I contacted SESI about this a couple of months ago, however its as far as I can tell not fixed in the 10.0.249.5 version we're running here. Perhaps that is your problem?

Otherwise I find the compositing reliable and very usable in Houdini.
Staff
5161 posts
What platform are you running (system specs + OS)? Are you using GPU-assisted compositing (you aren't unless you explicitly turned in on in Edit->Prefs->Compositing->Cooking).
4140 posts
I'll be honest, I haven't been doing a lot of COPs lately, but I did briefly last week on 64 bit linux, and it constantly crashed. While at first I assumed it was the new-ish OGL code, I made it go away by disabling multi threading. While that's not the best solution and I still need to fill out a proper bug report, you might want to try that if the OGL doesn't work. It may well be a combination of the two.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
861 posts
twod
What platform are you running (system specs + OS)? Are you using GPU-assisted compositing (you aren't unless you explicitly turned in on in Edit->Prefs->Compositing->Cooking).

i7, xp32SP3, 3GB, QuadroFX580.

How do I disable multithreading?
--
Jobless
Staff
5161 posts
Same spot as the GPU-assist: Edit->Prefs->Compositing->Cooking, Multithreaded Cooking. If this fixes the problem, please let me know. A sample hip file would be helpful (even without images) if you could provide one.
861 posts
It appears that disabling multithreading has stopped the crashing.
--
Jobless
4140 posts
I got off my ass and submitted a bug report with a sample hip. And to clarify, there may be more than one behaviour. What the submitted hip does for me is lock up, not crash. However I seem to recall I was getting actual crashes with /tmp/crashlog files, but I'll keep an eye peeled.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
861 posts
I was a bit optimistic before. I still get fatal erros but at least I've nailed down the problem somewhat. In the scene below, if I hit the “Reset to first frame” button in the playbar I get a fatal error crash.

Hope that helps.

(i deleted the images in the file nodes so the error doesnt occur in this file unless you load images I suppose)

Edit: I'm pretty sure the problem is the Timefilter. I suppose it tries to access a frame before 1 and since there is none it crashes.

Attachments:
Composition exp error.hipnc (91.7 KB)

--
Jobless
Staff
5161 posts
Thanks for posting a file. I'll look into this shortly.
  • Quick Links