imported .lwo keeps its original colour

3244   3   1
35 posts
Hi All,

I just wanted to know if the following scenario is normal for importing .lwo geometries.

I've imported an .lwo car body, and it has an alright looking paint job with stripes on it. The thing is, in the network, there seems to be no material attached to the .lwo for me to delete, so i can have an unpainted car body.

If I add a blue material to the .lwo car body, it only turns slightly blue (in the main view window) and the original paint is still in view, but if i render it, the original paint is gone and all i see is the blue material i added. Is this how an .lwo behaves? And to get it unpainted would i have to somehow unwrap it and paint it white/grey?

Thanks in advance for the information!
696 posts
Hi

I have no idea about the LWO, but you can try adding a Attribute SOP to the imported model and in the Point tab, go to the Delete field and type “Cd” without quotes to delete the color attribute of the geometry. If that still doesn't work maybe the color attribute is in the primitives in which case you can do the same thing in the Primitive tab.

After that you should have a blank slate to work with.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
35 posts
Cd in the Primitive Tab worked instantly, thanks!
696 posts
Cool! Cd is the color attribute, it seems that the LWO format writes it into the geometry and that's how you ended up with it in Houdini. Most default shaders read the color attribute from the geometry which is cool if you got it there intentionally and if not we can always delete it.

cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
  • Quick Links