My personal thank you to SideFX

6124   8   3
96 posts
Hi,

I just wanted to personally thank sidefx, the owner, president, developers, and all those involved, for making such an amazing product and giving the general public the ability to learn and potentially make something out of themselves within the visual effects world. I can not thank you enough for providing a product of this magnitude to someone as little as myself so that I have just as much of an opportunity to fulfill a dream as someone who is fortunate enough to afford a full 3d package on their own. It is my hope that I can contribute back to this company just a fraction of what they have given us. Thank you SideFx.

Sincerly,

Hairston
860 posts
Ditto.

Actually, I'd like to send you a bunch of flowers and invite you to my wedding.

You are makers of great software.
--
Jobless
Staff
10 posts
A personal, “you are most welcome” - although I am sure I speak for all at Side Effects on this matter. We love what we do - creating Houdini and working with artists. Getting some thanks along the way is just icing on the cake.

Many thanks to you,

Kim
President & CEO

(P.S. also co-founder, owner, ex-animator, ex-programmer, avid forum reader, … old-guy!)
Edited by - July 22, 2009 15:15:24
30 posts
Hi dude,

I want to say thank to sidefx too , especially for the apprentice version, its the coolest version compare with maya PLE or anything else.
And i wish one day i will be a developer contribute to developing houdini too :shock: . I am a math major, use houdini as hobby and i like shader creation.
96 posts
mathmad
Hi dude,

I want to say thank to sidefx too , especially for the apprentice version, its the coolest version compare with maya PLE or anything else.

I second this. The best version of a program ive ever used. Hands down.

Hairston
96 posts
KimDavidson
A personal, “you are most welcome” - although I am sure I speak for all at Side Effects on this matter. We love what we do - creating Houdini and working with artists. Getting some thanks along the way is just icing on the cake.

Many thanks to you,

Kim

You guys are awesome!

Hairston
1145 posts
mathmad
Hi dude,

And i wish one day i will be a developer contribute to developing houdini too :shock: . I am a math major, use houdini as hobby and i like shader creation.

Just to remind you that even as a hobbiest you can, and I encourage you, to post your stuff to this site and odforce.net. If nothing else you will get invaluable advice, but your material could also be very useful. Particularly if it is shader related, where there is never enough material.
Post your stuff here, in the Gallery and the Exchange.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
120 posts
I agree.. thanks for the apprentice program…. please continue to keep up the good work and keep houdini out ahead of the other vfx apps… and please.. please, for the sake of the vfx industry as a whole do not ever sell out to autodesk

I think its cool to see an international community around the houdini software and I think you guys (sidefx) have something here that you could build on as far as moving away from the conventional business model with 3d apps… why not make a version for commercial use where you can pay by the hour? sort of like cloud computing where you pay by the hour for server usage (I'm sure something could be done where it runs on the user's computer and reports back to your server)

I think anything you can do to get more people using houdini on the commercial side would be beneficial in the long run and can move people who are new to 3d / vfx to start out in houdini rather than an outdated program like 3ds max (which it seems most people, including myself, start out in by default). Also, the more you can make it affordable for people to use the software for professional work (such as the pay as you go model) the more you are going to gain users of your software.

Also, something that stuck out to me is that houdini is being labeled by sidefx as “3d animation tools” when it is more than that and can be used for things that aren't animated at all such as 3d art.. why not cast the net a bit wider and try to pull in more of these people to the software as its better for this too than the alternatives.
101 posts
thanx to all sidefx team!!!

its really nice have an apprentice version, full working, of the most POWERFULL FX, fluids and dynamic engine available at the market!!!

its sad though, that is not really that spread! Some great forums like CGtalk.com stopped the houdini forum…

I am country for example, ppl are more used to 3DS max, Maya, and Xsi!
Some ppl in here even dont know of a software called Houdini!!!
I am not really the right person of speculate why this happen.

anyway, it has a good side: when i get good in houdini, maybe houdini will be more known in my country and i will be hired by a large company lol

Best Regards

Sty

• Quick Links