copySOP stamping values

4434   9   0
30 posts
Hi all,

Lets say I have an expression in the value 1 field of the stamp tab in a copySOP. How can I see what values the expression is returning for all of the points/particles?

thanks alot

Craig
861 posts
Try to use that very expression as a value in an attribute_create SOP that you append to the same node that goes into the right side of the copy SOP. Then create a custom display for that attribute in the Display Options.
--
Jobless
30 posts
thanks so much.

Actually id just solved the problem by using an attributeCreateSOP inside my popnet and it shows up inside the spreadsheet but i think better to put it where you said as things inside my popnet may change.

I am a new houdini user( maya bg) but i was thinking I should be able to use this attribute as a variable so I could just use $MY_ATTR as a value in my stamp value field. But so far no joy … Its not important but its bugging me.

thaks again

Craig
1145 posts
Under the main Edit menu look for Alias and Variables, you can put your expression in there and use it anywhere in houdini.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
8595 posts
you have to fill the Local Variable parameter in AttribCreate SOP as well to be able to use the attribute as a variable later

ps: the Aliases and Variables menu is for global expressions which return only single value not for per point attributes as far as i know
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
30 posts
thanks to both of you for replying.

probbins .. Not tried that yet , will give it look but id rather not be creating global variables, but still handy to know.

tamte .. I had already filled in the local variable slot and that was part of the problem ! I thought all local variables needed to be uppercase but apparently they are not. If I leave the local variable part blank then the name field is the the local variable but in upper case . If i fill in my local variable then it uses that case.Well it works now so I assume thats how it works. Thanks for making me look at it again and if I have got it wrong please let me know!

Craig
1145 posts
If you MMB on the Attribute node it will show you the syntax for the local variable that you created.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
30 posts
ahaa .. that is great !

thanks for clearing that up! I knew the MMB listed attrs but I never saw that before.

thanks again

Craig
1631 posts
You can also use a Font SOP to print out the values for you. Just put the following into the Font SOP:
`stamp(“../your_copy_sop”,“stamp_var”,0)`

Cheers!
steven
30 posts
thanks Steven,

more very useful info!

cheers,
Craig
  • Quick Links