circular motion to smoke..

10271   7   3
34 posts
hi .. i have been trying to work out a tyre burn out simulation using pyro effects. what i am struggling with is the circular motion i need to give the smoke as the tyre starts rotating. I need a force field which work like the ‘vortex’ force in 3dmax…
Staff
2540 posts
You can add a vortex force to get the swirls. You can also use a metaball and a Magnet Force DOP.

You can also turn on the options in the Smoke Solver: Use Point Velocity for Collisions and Use Volume Velocity for Collisions and use the actual rotating tire.
I like to animate the tire at the object level (the “proper” way) and not in SOPs btw.
Now if you turn on your velocity visualization and you have enough rotation on your tire you will see nice velocity fields being affected by your rotating tire.

Next adjust the smoke solver forces to tweak the smoke behaviour.
Add vorticles and vortex confinement for extra swirls.

Attachments:
tire_burnout.hip (459.0 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
1145 posts
I don't know about the force field tool in 3dsmax, so here's a method that I might try.

The attached file shows how to create a velocity field in dops that is then used in sop space to generate a particle system. I've used an Attractor and Collision pop to get close to the behaviour I would like from the smoke. I'd want some of the smoke to cling to the tire and pick up some of it's rotation, but most of the smoke should shoot out the back of the tire.

This is a very rough setup.

I've included a couple of alternates to how I might render the smoke, both using the Isooffset sop.

Attachments:
burn_out_smoke_velocity_generates_particles.hip (669.7 KB)

“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
34 posts
thank you jeff and peter .. really appreciate your help.

i am honestly very surprised to get a example file. It really helps in learning quicker….this is simply beautiful

Also, am unable to check the file at the moment on my laptop, will do it as the first thing in the morning on monday from work.

thanks again
alok
34 posts
Thank you so much!! Its perfect ..just what i was looking for.. and pretty simple setup too

I am uploading some houdini particles test on the WIP forum. Would appreciate if you could comment on it.

-alok
152 posts
very good stuff! thanks for sharing the file
152 posts
very good stuff! thanks for sharing the file
160 posts
Jeff and probbins - great examples, thanks)
  • Quick Links