Can someone point me to the location of this node? (PORTION)

5332   8   1
96 posts
I tried tabbing in this particular node to finish my manual cookie break on a pot but I could not find it anywhere. Is it named anything other than “portion”? I cant seem to find it even after typing in “portion” lol. I have included a picture for you to see which one I was referring too. Thanks

Hairston

Attachments:
Internet.JPG (17.8 KB)

861 posts
It's probably just a renamed node.

Select the node and look at the top left of the parameter tab. It will tell you there what kind of node it is.

Or middle-click it and it will say “Operator type:” at the top.
--
Jobless
96 posts
Soothsayer
It's probably just a renamed node.

Select the node and look at the top left of the parameter tab. It will tell you there what kind of node it is.

Or middle-click it and it will say “Operator type:” at the top.

I cant as that image i posted is from a training module. I just screenshot it and cut it out then posted it here. I wish I COULD middle click on it but cant find it to get there.
1907 posts
Most likely they are Group SOPs to create a group for each piece.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
349 posts
Yup thats 100% a groupSOP. Adding a groupSOP afther the cookie, is a slightly longer way of grouping the pieces (or portions) rather than merging and using a connectivity + partitionSOP ect, ect.
96 posts
Thank you guys for the replies!
96 posts
ragupasta
Yup thats 100% a groupSOP. Adding a groupSOP afther the cookie, is a slightly longer way of grouping the pieces (or portions) rather than merging and using a connectivity + partitionSOP ect, ect.

So would these 2 methods work the same? Would you recommend connectivity + partitionsop instead of grouping? Which is more effecient? Thank you Ragupasta
349 posts
Its short as it is long really. If you name your first group node something like “piece_01” and enter $OS in the group name inside the sop, then a CTRL+C and a quick CTRL+V will increment the sop, so you just switch the input to your next piece, thus you can quickly make a lot of seperate groups to merge together. This way you dont have to deal with the connectivity and partition nodes.

On the other side, you do your cookies and merge them, drop a connectivity sop down and gain an attribute called $CLASS, (middle click the node and see..). Drop a partitionSOP down and in the rule field type $CLASS.

Both can them be fed directly into an RBD fractured/glued obj without an problems. I suppose the difference is a couple of minutes tbh.

If you have a model imported with a lot of seperate geometry and you want to seperate a specific piece, then the connectivity+partition sop method is pure win. Because all you do then is drop a deleteSOP down and select the first group, change over to delete-non-selected, then use the value ladder in the group field to cycle through until you find the piece(s) you require.
96 posts
ragupasta
Its short as it is long really. If you name your first group node something like “piece_01” and enter $OS in the group name inside the sop, then a CTRL+C and a quick CTRL+V will increment the sop, so you just switch the input to your next piece, thus you can quickly make a lot of seperate groups to merge together. This way you dont have to deal with the connectivity and partition nodes.

On the other side, you do your cookies and merge them, drop a connectivity sop down and gain an attribute called $CLASS, (middle click the node and see..). Drop a partitionSOP down and in the rule field type $CLASS.

Both can them be fed directly into an RBD fractured/glued obj without an problems. I suppose the difference is a couple of minutes tbh.

If you have a model imported with a lot of seperate geometry and you want to seperate a specific piece, then the connectivity+partition sop method is pure win. Because all you do then is drop a deleteSOP down and select the first group, change over to delete-non-selected, then use the value ladder in the group field to cycle through until you find the piece(s) you require.

I used the first method and it worked like a charm. Thanks again kind sir.

Hairston
  • Quick Links