Using one transform node to animate two geometries

4733   4   1
40 posts
I have two geometries: green_box and yellow_box.
To move the green box, I am using some expressions in the transform node on the object level e.g. green_box/box–>transform
is there a way to use these transform values to animate the yellow_box?
I tried parenting them on the geometry level, but it does not work since the green_box is animated on the object level. Thanks.
691 posts
Fetch Node in the obj level is one of many answers.
Feel The Knowledge, Kiss The Goat!!!
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alejandroecheverry [linkedin.com]
http://vimeo.com/lordpazuzu/videos [vimeo.com]
40 posts
so, in my scene (top level), i created Fetch node and connected the input to green_box and the output to the yellow_box like so green_box–>Fetch–>yellow_box anything else I have to do inside of the yellow_box to make it work? 'cause this had no effect on yellow_box.
1631 posts
Hi,

When you use a Transform SOP, it is local space so neither parenting nor Fetch works.

If you transform at the Object level, parenting and Fetch will work.

If you really need to use a Transform SOP, you can use channel reference (ch() function) in the yellow_box transform channels to reference the Transform SOP's channels.

Cheers!
steven
40 posts
Hey Steven, that worked. I thought that that had to be something to reference other channels.. this is my biggest problem with Houdini - if you don't know what it is the only way is to ask since there is no good reference for functions. I wish they divided them into packages or something like it to make it easier to describe and find.
Thanks.
stevenong
Hi,

When you use a Transform SOP, it is local space so neither parenting nor Fetch works.

If you transform at the Object level, parenting and Fetch will work.

If you really need to use a Transform SOP, you can use channel reference (ch() function) in the yellow_box transform channels to reference the Transform SOP's channels.

Cheers!
steven
  • Quick Links