How to time-offset Filenodes (read)?

13738   8   4
35 posts
Hi,

is it possible to time offset File (mostly important in the import process) Nodes (DOPs, SOPs,…)?

This could come in VERY handy if u want to reuse the same simulation twice slighlty alternated in SOPs suring e.g. the meshing process in order to fake two different sims without the need of expensive resimming.

One way of course would be by copying and batch-renaming the files, but this seems a bit hidious.

cheers for your help
rodpacker
339 posts
Yep, if you don't have padded frames you can just use the backticks to insert an expression in your filename, so to offset it by 10 frames would look like this:

file.`$F+10`.bgeo

However, if you do have padded frame numbers you need to use the padzero function:

file.$F4.bgeo

would become

file`padzero(4, $F+10)`.bgeo
Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
21 posts
Check out the SOPs with “time” in the name. Timeshift and Timewarp can be quite handy for this kind of thing.
Nathan Ortiz
CG Supervisor, Framestore Melbourne
35 posts
tjeeds
Yep, if you don't have padded frames you can just use the backticks to insert an expression in your filename, so to offset it by 10 frames would look like this:

file.`$F+10`.bgeo

However, if you do have padded frame numbers you need to use the padzero function:

file.$F4.bgeo

would become

file`padzero(4, $F+10)`.bgeo

PERFECT!!!! THANX!!!! I did try this route but it didn't even come to my mind to use the backticks not even to think of padzero

this serves exactly what I need!

thanks a lot
rodpacker
35 posts
mrbag
Check out the SOPs with “time” in the name. Timeshift and Timewarp can be quite handy for this kind of thing.

mrBag,

SWEET!!! Thanks for pointing me to these ones - very helpful for the matrix style effects I gotta do next - especially the timewarp function looks great !!!

It also gets rid of the nasty frameblending artifacts that post usually ends up with after other retiming and I'll b able to retime fluid sims with ease - YEAH!!!

cheers
rodpacker
696 posts
Good luck with re-timing the fluid sims
It's not out of the question if they're particle fluids, but you'll probably need to wrap your own version of the time warp asset that makes use of $ID rather than $PT.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
21 posts
Speaking of which, it sure would be nice if Timewarp could use ID natively…HINT, HINT. :idea:
Nathan Ortiz
CG Supervisor, Framestore Melbourne
696 posts
agreed.

not just timewarp either for that matter. I'd like it if a lot more of the tools in sops had the option of working with ID rather than PT values in a way that let you select stuff in the viewport.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
35 posts
Just finally had the time to test it … and well, yeah I wish I could write my own timewarper - bummer would have been so handy!!!!
  • Quick Links