Licence server/upgrade problem on Ubuntu 9.04

4218   3   0
36 posts
Hi,

I tried to manually remove my H9.1 installation (including licence server) before upgrading to H10 (deleted all Houdini related files I could find…) But when I run the installation script I get the message "Stopping Houdini License server sesinetd ".

I've tried to stop the server with ‘sesinetd stop’ and ‘sesictrl -q’ but it doesn't work. Tried to uninstall/reinstall everything, but same problem.

I am running Ubuntu 9.04, but upgraded from 8.04 (via 8.10) just before I tried to install H10. Don't know if this could affect things. H9.1 was however running fine after the upgrade.

How do I remove everything Houdini related from the system, to do a clean install?

Thanks,
Fredrik
Staff
1448 posts
you may need to run “sesinetd stop” as a root

Another option is to leave sesinetd 9.1 as it is, and use local apprentice licensing mode for Houdini 10. This mode does not use sesinetd for license verification. You can choose the local licensing mode during the installation steps. Here is more info:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1283&Itemid=273 [sidefx.com]
36 posts
Thank you, I'll try the apprentice licensing.

It would be nice to sort out the license server thing anyway though, don't like having things running that doesn't work… I might have deleted the old H9.1 sesinetd file while the server was running. Could that be the issue? Is there any way of cleaning out everything? (Pretty new to Linux).

Did ‘sudo /etc/init.d/sesinetd stop’, but it gave the same message.
Staff
1448 posts
I might have deleted the old H9.1 sesinetd file while the server was running
This should not prevent sesinetd from shutting down. On the other hand, if there is no sesinetd executable, then maybe it is not running, and that's the reason why it cannot be shut down? Can you see it with “ps -A | grep sesinetd”?

Is there any way of cleaning out everything?
Deleting the installation directory (eg, /opt/houdini9.1.xxx) should remove most of the things. Some configuration files and some assets you created are still preserved in $HOME/houdini9.1 but they should not affect other versions.

The license files are in /usr/lib/sesi. The sesinetd executable is this directory, so if you are doing a thorough cleaning before installing a new version, you can delete it. If you are a free Apprentice user, you can safely delete the other files too, since they don't contain any license keys you paid for. You will be able to reinstall the free keys later. But, I doubt they prevent shutting down sesinetd.

You can use brute force to remove the sesinetd 9.1:
- kill the process
- remove /etc/init.d/sesinetd
- remove /usr/lib/sesi/sesinetd

Did ‘sudo /etc/init.d/sesinetd stop’, but it gave the same message.
Does the message give the reason for the failure?
  • Quick Links