FBX Import Gives chopfile That Can't Convert to Triangles

7384   9   1
82 posts
I imported an FBX mesh that I exported from XSI Mod Tool. It creates some objects in Houdini that I don't understand. When I create a tube or sphere or the like in Houdini and then select the Geometry Select mode I have the option in the parameters panel to change the geometry to triangles (so I can export to Torque DTS).

When I import this FBX mesh and switch to geometry select mode it gives me something it calls a chopfile. It is also called a vertex_cache in the network node panel.

I can't figure out how to turn this into a triangle polymesh. Please help…

7735 posts
Append a Divide SOP.
82 posts
Thank you for the quick reply. I am brand, spankin new to Houdini. Could you tell me how to do that please? Baby steps would be good.
82 posts
So I selected the object and hit the subdivide and it added a subdivide thing. I am guessing this is the SOP that you mentioned.

What I still can't figure out is how to turn the polygons into triangles? I don't see any setting for that.

There is a think called Boundary that has a Triangulate, but that doesn't turn the polygons into triangles.

So I still don't know how to do this. Please help :-)
678 posts
tpitman
I am guessing this is the SOP that you mentioned.

I pretty sure Edward was taking about Divide SOP, not Subdivide SOP.
82 posts
I thought there might be a difference except I can't find anything simply called divide. Can you tell me where to find this Divide SOP and how to apply it to my model?
7735 posts
You need to be at Geometry level mode first to see the Divide node.
82 posts
I really appreciate your help, but you have to keep in mind that I am a total noob here.

In the upper right panel I see the word Geometry. Does that mean I am at the Geometry level? If so where do I find the Divide SOP you are talking about? I don't see it anywhere.
7735 posts
Sorry. All the context specific tools are available via the TAB menu. ie. with your mouse over the viewer (or network editor), hit the TAB key. A menu will pop up.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini10.0/basics/tabmenu [sidefx.com]
82 posts
Yahoo! That got it. I finally got into the right mode and hit tab and type divide and there it was.

I knew about the whole tab menu, but didn't realize it was the ONLY way to get some commands.

Thanks!
  • Quick Links