Im beginner and need your kind expertise

3205   3   1
3 posts
Hello,

Please advise

1.how I can create a standard material Mapping in Houdini ? for example, by using diffuse map and bump mapping.

2.Why Pyro renders very slow ? Do you have any way we can solve this.
3.Pls adv how to delete History in Houdini, is it the same way as Maya or XSI ?
1390 posts
unlock
Hello,

Please advise

1.how I can create a standard material Mapping in Houdini ? for example, by using diffuse map and bump mapping.
Not sure what is your interest, you want to know how to map uv coordinates in Houdini? Or how to apply textures and bump maps? In both cases these are basics, so I encourage you to go through some free tutorials covering these topics. You can find them on vimeo or in Learning Section of this forum (some are commercial).

Basically you can use Basic Displacement Material from Material Pallete. Appy it on an object. Choose your maps in proper fields (Color Map, Disp. Map). and turn off “True Displacement” on Properties Tab. Done.

2.Why Pyro renders very slow ? Do you have any way we can solve this.
Common mistake is using ray traced shadows instead of shadow maps. Ray tracing slows down things a lot. Avoid it.
3.Pls adv how to delete History in Houdini, is it the same way as Maya or XSI ?

Don't. There is no need for doing this. Keep all nodes organized, embedded in subnets or netboxes, and let then stay to your disposal in case, you decide to change something later.

If you insist to delete nodes, select the last one, and turn on Lock Flag (the red one). It will keep everything above cached in this node. You can delete now anything else.
Your hip file will quickly become terabytes big, and you wont' be able to tweak your scene anymore. but you want it, right?

Another way is to use a FileSOP to save geometry on disk, and read it back in that state.

hth.
3 posts
Thank you for your kind advice. This really helps and I will try it !
349 posts
“Deleting History” in Houdini is shattering the very concepts of what Houdini is built on. Deleting History removes the concept of the procedural paradigm.
  • Quick Links