Guides Deformer Fur?

5074   4   1
527 posts
I have been experimenting with exporting Houdini guides and plugging them into Shave and a Hair Cut/Maya and modeling those H guides to achieve control in unique areas.

What I was wondering…

Would it be possible to some how manipulate the guides natively within Houdini to have a similar effect on a finished comb? Almost like a deformer for Hfur :? I would like to keep the whole fur workflow in Houdini.
soho vfx
249 posts
As would I.

The thing is there is a way to have tools to control fur in Houdini. Its just takes someone who knows how to work with CVEX and i would imagine some basic Python skills.

There was a fur tool that Mark Visser created for Houdini 9.1 which is still available and its amazing (but use with caution as it plays with your environment variables). Its exactly what you would want in fur tools. At the moment though he is a little busy to update it for 9.5 and 10.

Also i wish some of the people here who have told of how they got fur working would at least provide a simple sphere demo, just to get me/you/anyone else interested started.

Its just very easy to say… “yeah well you need to know CVEX”, which doesnt really have any documentation.

All i can do is wait really, as i don't know where to start or what to do (and believe me, ive tried )
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
527 posts
I haven't talked to Mark in years… Last I remember he was off in Montreal working remotely.
soho vfx
527 posts
I'm trying to dig up more information about the fuzzy toolkit.

I have seen people in forums saying interesting things about it but can't seem to even find a screen cap or a video… etc.

Will it even run with houdini 10.x?
soho vfx
249 posts
you will have to use 9.1 im afraid.

Here is a link to it… well the thread on odForce.

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/6658-fuzzy-toolkit-new-fur-software-for-houdini-now-in-open-beta/ [forums.odforce.net]

think its time to reconnect and get him to make a build for 9.5 and 10 :twisted:

Not to burst anyones bubble, but he did say that he may have time in the new year, but lets hope he can either get to it sooner or maybe shed some light.
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
  • Quick Links