particle rotation/velocity?

6029   3   2
196 posts
When sourcing particles from geometry based on primitive center I noticed that the particles are orientated using velocity. You can remove the velocity obviously but then the orientation is lost. Is it possible to keep the orientation but lose the velocity??

Thanks for any replies in advance
Henster
Henster
321 posts
Since direction is embedded in velocity (rather than being separated as direction + magnitude), the strict answer is “no”.
However, you could add an attribute called ‘direction’, into which you place the velocity only if the velocity is non-zero (or greater than some small amount). Thus, when the particles come to a stop, they'll have the direction vector that was last available before they stopped encoded into the “direction” attribute.
Then, when you're copying shapes to your particles, reinstantiate the direction as velocity.

– Antoine
Antoine Durr
Floq FX
antoine@floqfx.com
could the look at pop be used here at all? don't know if that helps but thought i'd throw it out there…

good luck,
dave
Dave Quirus
196 posts
Thanks all. I've got it working now.

In the end I just divided the velocity at frame 1 by the fps and subtracted this from the position at each subsequent frame. Lets me mess around with the velo and accel afterwards.

Cheers
Henster
Henster
  • Quick Links