measure node does NOT produce a single volume value

6292   4   1
479 posts
I'm using the “measure” node to calculate the volume of a extruded polygon.

However, after I chose the “Volume” in the “Type” parameter of the measure node, it gives me a series of values, one for each primitive, rather than a singel volume value. I think the volume of this geometry should equals to the area of the base polygon times the magnitude of extrusion.

See the attached image.

Please help me to point out my mistakes and tell me the correct way to measure the volume of whatever geometry.

BTW, the help file for the “measure” node doesn't even mention the “volume” option in the “Type” parameter. Can Houdini developer help to clarify this issue?

Thanks!

Attachments:
measure_volume.jpg (292.5 KB)

31 posts
After the Measure SOP, add an AttributePromote SOP with:

original name: volume
original class: primitive
new class: detail
promotion method: sum

…then you should have the volume of your object stored in an attribute at the Detail level.

I tried with some objects and it seems to work fine.
I believe the Measure SOP stores partial volume for each primitive, so the sum should be the right thing to do.

Cheers,

Emanuele
www.leleberti.com

Lead Crowd TD @ DNeg London
Thank you very much for your kind help, midorime!

It works according to your suggestion.

But I still want to ask the developer of Houdini why the explanation for the option of “Volume” in the “Type” parameter is not presented in the Houdini help file?

Maybe graham can help on this? thank you in advance!
Staff
6219 posts
The lack of docs is an oversight, I've submitted a bug on that issue. Thank you for pointing it out, I'm glad you've managed to find it out despite the lack of docs.
479 posts
Dear jlait, thank you very much for your reply!

Houdini's developer team is really kind, active, and efficient, which means professional!
  • Quick Links