How to emit particles on sub-frames

9103   9   2
67 posts
Hi, I need particles emitted from a moving source. I need them in a row and not as a bunch of points per frame. So is there a way to emit particles between frames. I've tried the for-each SOP, but even then the particles get only emitted on a frame. And pushing up the FPS wasn't a good idea either, because I got problems with the animation from 8001FPS on.
IMHO
Lorenz
2624 posts
Look in the help at :- Time blend sop , Oversampling in pops and Accurate births

rob
Gone fishing
67 posts
Cool! Couldn't get used to the ‘accurate birth’ and the time blend alone, but together they rock. Thank you very much Rob!
Edit:
There is only one thing left. The particles get emitted randomly, and not ordered. I know that's a normal behaviour, but I wonder if I can get rid of that.
IMHO
Lorenz
2624 posts
There is only one thing left. The particles get emitted randomly, and not ordered. I know that's a normal behaviour, but I wonder if I can get rid of that.

I would be looking at the constant birth rate value in pops combined with the frame rate which is $FPS . Also read up on the differences between the birth methods.

rob
Gone fishing
67 posts
No, the problem is not, that I don't get particles on every frame. But e.g. if you choose faces, ordered, the particles still get randomized on each face instead of emitting from the center.
Edit:
OK, yeah but you're right. In this particular case it depends on the accurate births.
IMHO
Lorenz
Staff
329 posts
LFX
So is there a way to emit particles between frames.

Consider increasing the “Oversampling” parameter on the POP Network.
67 posts
That alone does nothing, but it was the solution for accurately placing the particles on position - my last problem.
Edit:
Just for the record. I found better solution for both, performance and accuracy. I transformed the particle source times in a for-each SOP, by reading out a channel, and merged the result for emitting.
IMHO
Lorenz
295 posts
You might also check out Peter Quint's videos on Particles. I think (not 100% sure) he mentions something like this.
Houdini Models [learning3dfromscratch.blogspot.com]
2624 posts
No, the problem is not, that I don't get particles on every frame. But e.g. if you choose faces, ordered, the particles still get randomized on each face instead of emitting from the center.

Not sure what your doing but it works fine here in an old scene file

rob

Attachments:
orderedPops.hip (49.8 KB)

Gone fishing
67 posts
That's nice, but all works fine now. Thank you.
IMHO
Lorenz
  • Quick Links