point.setPosition(foo) in eclipse/hython

4330   3   2
7 posts
is there a way for me to grab the points of a SOP, iterate through its points and setPosition() on its geometry…?

so far i am getting the hou.GeometryPermissionError when i attempt to modify the position of the points - and looking in the docs suggests i create a Python SOP within Houdini.

id prefer to use eclipse w/ pydev for this kind of stuff.

any help would be much appreciated.

1908 posts
The docs are correct. You can only modify geometry using Python from within the PythonCook code section of a Python Sop. There is no other way.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
224 posts
When I started with python in houdini I had the same kind of feeling - I wanted the proper full ide (e.g. eclipse/pydev)

It does not really seem to be that easy, so in the end I gave up and now I just put up with the quirky little Houdini editor. (For example, the fact that Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V dont work, or that you don't get automatic tabs, etc, etc) I am still hoping for a better solution to appear some time. Maybe someone could make some suggestions…

One thing that I have not investigated is ‘External editor’ option. In Preferences, under Miscellaneous, you can set an external editor. Then when you are editing something in the Houdini editor, you can click the external editor button. Is anyone using this to edit their Python in an external editor?
Patrick
383 posts
At the moment I work with HOM and pycharm.
I set the houdini python interpreter as my project interpreter and set the windows path variable at the houdini bin directory ( to find all the dlls ) and import HOM.
With HOM I can open existing scenes and work on python code from within the IDE, but it is still not possible to debug python assets ( at least I didnt figure it out … )
www.woogieworks.at
  • Quick Links