Trouble with null node...

14492   36   2
57 posts
@buki and everyone: The display dropdown is what look like shades/glasses.
@cooly08: After you uninstall do you re-start your computer before installing again, and making sure that everything is deleted?

DJ
“Nothing is just Black & White”- look at the Yin/Yang symbol
17 posts
Yes. I've deleted the $HOME/Houdini10.0 folder and the sidefx folder that is in the program files folder. And reboot my computer before installing it again.
57 posts
Are you going to the uninstall option or are you just deleting the folders/files? If you are just deleting then sometimes information remains in the Registry and elsewhere. If there is no uninstall option try going to add/remove programs in Windows Control Panel and try uninstalling it there.

DJ
“Nothing is just Black & White”- look at the Yin/Yang symbol
17 posts
Yes I use add/remove programs
40 posts
Ok, that you see the Control OP rendered is a good sign and means that your NULL node can be fixed one way or another. We just have to figure out how

Next test: Open the file attached (it's just a NULL node). Does this NULL render out correctly? If yes, we can be sure that it's just the tool that is broken and you'll (we) have to look into that

Attachments:
null.hipnc (38.7 KB)

17 posts
Haha excellent MandDay, I love your message “Here should be your NULL:” in Houdini ^^

Thanks

Yes it's working and yes it's the null tool itself who is broken. But why ? That's the question. Because, something else can be broken too. And it's very strange indeed ^^

I don't have the time now to install windows 7 from scratch but I will let you know when I do that.
40 posts
I wouldn't recomment overdoing your whole OS before you haven't checked out at least the first options you have. Dive into /houdini/scripts/python/objtoolutils.py and try out some things. I'vent gone through that file in all detail but it should boil down to a sequence of commands which lay down the container and a NULL obj inside. Once you have found them, try to run them one after one in Houdinis py-console and thus figure out which command exactly is causing the problem.

That's all the help I can give you so far. I'm not a python programmer myself but it appears to be a fairly simple script and you should be able to locate the crucial commands in question.

bonne chance
1907 posts
Looks to me like the problem is a result of the init scripts failing to be run. If there was a problem with the code in objecttoolutils then you'd be receiving Python errors and the tool wouldn't work at all. Maybe there is some sort of permissions error in $HH/scripts/? Does creating a Geometry object in the Network Editor give you the operator with the File SOP be created inside it?
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
17 posts
ManDay > Merci

graham > Does creating a Geometry object in the Network Editor give you the operator with the File SOP be created inside it?

Yes the Geometry object has the File SOP operator created inside.
1907 posts
hmmm.

What happens if you do the following?

Open Houdini and create a Null object. Open up an Hscript textport and enter the following:
source obj/null.cmd /obj/null1 where null1 is the name of the null you created.
17 posts
graham > Here is the result :

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/c4ef1121-8d11-498c-ba85-4a2ad407d603.jpg [tof.canardpc.com]
1907 posts
So the null init script is being run. However it looks like it cannot source the $HH/scripts/obj/nullcontrol.cmd script. This is the script that actually creates the control and point nodes inside the Null object.

Does that file exist? Does it have read permissions?
17 posts
Yes the file exist and he's readable.

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/b958206c-d5e6-4c83-ad7a-e15af25ded44.jpg [tof.canardpc.com]

(I've added the hconfig result through the command line tool).
1907 posts
Can you try creating a null, opening the text port and typing the following?
cd /obj/null1
source obj/nullcontrol.cmd

Also, if you create a Sticky or Rivet do you see the control object in those?
17 posts
Yes this work !

I have the two nodes in the null1 (control and point).
17 posts
When I create a rivet (I don't really what it does, but I've followed the help line at the bottom) and I attach it to a point from a cube, there is a rivet1 in network editor, but it's empty and nothing appear in the viewport. Like the null node

Same thing with the sticky node.
183 posts
Hey guys, a have exactly same problem :? Empty Null….. Any Solution?

UP! I've solved the problem. Just install houdini in “c:\Houdini\10.0.595” and thats it !!!
Aleksei Rusev
Sr. Graphics Tools Engineer @ Nvidia
  • Quick Links