Texture in viewport

22227   10   1
58 posts
I'm having no luck finding a way to view my textures in the viewport. I've tried turning on Display textures in the Misc. tab under display options, projected textures.

Am I missing something?

Also, is there a way to do something like an IPR render? I want to adjust my shaders, lighting, etc. and see results without having to hit render everytime.

Sorry if this is somewhere else on the forum i tried searching for texture, viewport and combinations of the two, but I didn't see anything.

Thanks so much.

I am on a Mac, running Snow Leopard 10.6

o.0
40 posts
I've not gone alot into texturing and modeling yet but if I'm not mistaken the only to display textures in the viewport is to do manually what other packages do automatically and more or less transparently for you that is telling OpenGL how to render the object. A material can be given OpenGL layers, how in details these textures are then UV mapped I've yet to figure out. If you want to see more than just a texture on your object (say lighting) which come from the matra shader you will have to render, I think. There is a render-pane which uses a raytracer and can give you a quick preview - it might be more handy then rendering out differently.
58 posts
I found the render View tab, but I have to make a ROP, I think, which isn't a big deal.

It is odd that SideFX is trying to gear Houdini more towards an artist's mentality (which mine is), but a lot is not done visually or as you say transparently.

I'm not sure how to do the OpenGl layers you are speaking of.

Hopefully there is a much easier way than that.

o.0
40 posts
Check out some tutorials on texturing and modelling, I've not seen it differently. As for the OpenGL Texture go to the surface vop of the material, such as the vop vex surface and in the properties you should be able to add a OGL layer. as i said, its just a textzre and I have no clue how this relates to UVs and so forth, but it's the best thing I can tell you. Someone will sure give a better reply in a while.
7714 posts
Simple test:
58 posts
Works on my MacBookPro, will test on my home machine tonight.

Noticing procedural textures aren't visible though.

Will follow up this evening.
7714 posts
silent_soul
Noticing procedural textures aren't visible though

Yes, that is not supported unless you write your own GLSL shader.
58 posts
@edward: looks like that worked on my home machine as well.

I also discovered there is a setting in the vopsurface shader called OGL Texture Layers. I added one and made it reference the diffuse map. Now, at least I can see the colors.

Very strange that there is no view mode in Houdini to see your textures properly in some sort of way by default.
45 posts
I am seeing errors when I try to export with 89,620 points on an 8k mesh using Hou 19.0.622. The vellum sim is 1000 frames long.
The node says that the point limit is 16million+

If I chop the asset into 9k point count chunks it seems to work.

What is the math used to determine what is the best texture size per point count?
What are the limitations on point count?

Can whatever math be used to engage a warning before rendering if it's not going to work?
Right now it feels like a lot of trial and error and it just seems to be having the appropriate combination of point count + texture size.
Edited by geordiemartinez - June 24, 2022 12:14:27

Attachments:
2022-06-24_09-06-36.png (53.3 KB)
2022-06-24_09-05-51.png (105.6 KB)

7755 posts
geordiemartinez
I am seeing errors when I try to export with 89,620 points on an 8k mesh using Hou 19.0.622. The vellum sim is 1000 frames long.

I think you posted in the wrong thread perhaps.
43 posts
Try to use LOPs for ipr render.

Snow leopard pretty old mac version. I ques, you have old hardware too. For example HD Graphics 3000 can run Houdini (only on Cent OS7), but all textures appear black, preview HDRI in viewport is 100% crash. It's funny, but even selection sometimes can choose random point and not the one you clicked on. Box selection is 50% crash... and many other things.

Old hardware lacks of openGL new features supports, and overall support too
  • Quick Links