Houdini Apprentice + Linux Problems

7568   8   3
4 posts
Greetings,

I've been trying to get Houdini Apprentice to work under linux off and on for a month now. For my own reasons I don't like Redhat and use my own custom build of Linux. If anyone has a list of what packages Houdini 6.1 requires and the versions it requires that would be very helpful. I've searched the forums and website thoroughly and am not finding this information.

The following is the error I receive when I attempt to run Houdini:

$ ./hmaster
./hmaster: error while loading shared libraries: libdb.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

— Ok, I have Berkeley DB-4.1.25 installed. So I tried linking libdb.so.2 to libdb-4.2.so which works for most other prorgrams (I compiled Berkeley DB-4.1.25 with –enable-compat-185, so this SHOULD work).

Unfortunately that linking returns this error instead:
./hmaster: /usr/lib/libdb.so.2: no version information available (required by /opt/hfs6.1/dsolib/libHoudiniUT.so)
./hmaster: relocation error: /opt/hfs6.1/dsolib/libHoudiniUT.so: symbol dbm_open, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libdb.so.2 with link time reference

– Alright, fine. I'll go find a copy of DB-1.86 and install it. Tried that multiple times now, can't find all the patches necessary in order to make it so I can actually compile it… what a mess. So, I did the naughty and went ahead and used a precompiled redhat binary for DB-1.86 to see if that would work. This results in the error:

./hmaster: /usr/lib/libdb.so.2: no version information available (required by /opt/hfs6.1/dsolib/libHoudiniUT.so)
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: do-lookup.h: 115: do_lookup_versioned: Assertion `version->filename == ((void *)0) || ! _dl_name_match_p (version->filename, map)' failed!

– Yikes! Ok, I've been hammering at this for a while and frankly it's beginning to entice me to start premature balding by yanking out a few chunks of hair in frustration. My real complaint ends up being a request to sideFX to support modern Linux systems instead of being locked into glibc-2.0….

On a side note, tried it in Windows 2000 also.. and am getting driver related errors from the looks. I have to say for such a great product (used it at work and school in the past) it sure does seem to have its fair amount of problems.

Any help that can be provided or recommended is greatly appreciated – telling me to install RedHat is not constructive

J/
4140 posts
I won't tell you to install Redhat, but I can tell you you're probably not going to get much SESI support for a custom system…this is precisely one of the reasons they were likely nervous about claiming support fot the OS.

Anyway - did you try setting :

setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.1

? Obviously thats a csh syntax, but given you're building your own systems, I'm sure you don't need telling.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
47 posts
sorry to sound like a fanboy but the problem isn't with houdini it's worked flawlessly for me on linux. I admire you building linux from scratch but there's plenty of options other than redhat… gentoo for example!
4140 posts
True, and actually it runs on a number of distros apart from Redhat…but you have to ask yourself maztec what exactly you plan on using this for. None of the major app developers are going to give you support for a custom Linux build, so in the end you might get it running, but personally for a business I need to have the software running on supported platforms otherwise I'm SOL. Need that support!

If this is all just an academic exercise, then fine, never mind.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
4 posts
mta, no fanboyism taken in the least bit

JColdrick, I use a custom system because it provides me with exactly what I need and nothing more. That and I do some open source development that it's nice to try on a custom box rather than in an environment that doesn't keep up to date with what the latest changes in the Linux software world are.

I realize there are plenty of other options out there – including gentoo (which is basically one step up from what I do).

I really don't expect SESI support for this. But a little community support would be nice. All I really need to know is what packages Houdini is looking for – so I can check against how RedHat is configuring them and whether or not I even have them. With that little bit, I should be able to get it running. As of right now, my main bump in the road appears to be related to what database it is using, that's why I mentioned it and pointed out that is the main error I get.. Hmm, typo's and all now that I look back on it, oh well.

As for setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.1 – I went ahead and tried it, but also verified that all that does is guarantee that RH9 is using Linuxthreads, which is the default on my system.

Thanks for the help so far – and if anyone knows what packages Houdini is dependent on, that would be a grand help. I'm already trying to figure it out by going through all my files — and so far as I can tell the only thing I seem to be missing that it expects is the correct version of db. But I've yet to figure out what version of db it is really wanting nor how to configure it to its liking.

Maz
581 posts
I'm agree with you maztec about the custum system, in our studio we use a highly customized debian system, but this is only possible if you've and sysadmin dedicated to maintein the systems.
I understand john, if you don't have a person dedicated to maintein systems you need some support from another company so in thios cases is better to use a standar system.
The important in our systems the package that provides the libdb that uses houdini is: libdb1-compat.
This is for debian sarge/testing, the version of the library is 2.1.3-7.
Is a package for backward compatibility with glibc 2.0/2.1
I hope this helps
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
141 posts
When I installed Houdini on my Gentoo box I think I had to install:

lib-compat
tcl
tcsh

I'm no linux guru but maybe this will help?

SpoonyD@MutherFlower# ldd -v houdini
libHoudiniDEVICE.so => not found
libHoudiniAPPS3.so => not found
libHoudiniAPPS2.so => not found
libHoudiniAPPS1.so => not found
libHoudiniOPZ.so => not found
libHoudiniOP3.so => not found
libHoudiniOP2.so => not found
libHoudiniOP1.so => not found
libHoudiniGEO.so => not found
libHoudiniUI.so => not found
libHoudiniPRM.so => not found
libHoudiniUT.so => not found
libGLU.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1 (0x40024000)
libGL.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x4009c000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x40105000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x401e2000)
libXi.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXi.so.6 (0x401f0000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x401f9000)
libdb.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdb.so.2 (0x401fc000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x4020c000)
libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/libstdc++.so.5 (0x4025c000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x40315000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x40337000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40341000)
libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1 (0x4046e000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

Version information:
./houdini:
libgcc_s.so.1 (GCC_3.0) => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/libgcc_s.so.1
libstdc++.so.5 (CXXABI_1.2) => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++.so.5 (GLIBCPP_3.2) => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/libstdc++.so.5
libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.0) => /lib/libc.so.6
libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.1.3) => /lib/libc.so.6
/usr/lib/libGLU.so.1:
libgcc_s.so.1 (GCC_3.0) => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/libgcc_s.so.1
libstdc++.so.5 (GLIBCPP_3.2) => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++.so.5 (CXXABI_1.2) => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/libstdc++.so.5
libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.1) => /lib/libc.so.6
libm.so.6 (GLIBC_2.0) => /lib/libm.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1:
libdl.so.2 (GLIBC_2.1) => /lib/libdl.so.2
libdl.so.2 (GLIBC_2.0) => /lib/libdl.so.2
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6:
libdl.so.2 (GLIBC_2.1) => /lib/libdl.so.2
libdl.so.2 (GLIBC_2.0) => /lib/libdl.so.2
libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.2) => /lib/libc.so.6
libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.1.2) => /lib/libc.so.6
libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.3) => /lib/libc.so.6
libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.3.2) => /lib/libc.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXi.so.6:
/lib/libdl.so.2:
libc.so.6 (GLIBC_PRIVATE) => /lib/libc.so.6
ld-linux.so.2 (GLIBC_PRIVATE) => /lib/ld-linux.so.2
/usr/lib/libdb.so.2:
/lib/libpthread.so.0:
ld-linux.so.2 (GLIBC_2.1) => /lib/ld-linux.so.2
libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.3.2) => /lib/libc.so.6
libc.so.6 (GLIBC_PRIVATE) => /lib/libc.so.6
libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.1.2) => /lib/libc.so.6
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/libstdc++.so.5:
libgcc_s.so.1 (GCC_3.3) => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/libgcc_s.so.1
libgcc_s.so.1 (GLIBC_2.0) => /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/libgcc_s.so.1
/lib/libm.so.6:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/libgcc_s.so.1:
libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.2.4) => /lib/libc.so.6

/lib/libc.so.6:
ld-linux.so.2 (GLIBC_2.1) => /lib/ld-linux.so.2
ld-linux.so.2 (GLIBC_2.0) => /lib/ld-linux.so.2

/R
/Rick
4140 posts
lisux, I think my point about custom system's was missed - yes you can pay a sysadm to maintain it, but in the end your software supplier can always throw up their hands and say they don't support you when there's a problem - and you're stuck. Doesn't matter how much of a guru you are - you're giving up the main reason you make those support payments…

And yup, maztec, I understand why you'd personally want to do this and there's always the community…I'm speaking from a business perspective. Hopefully some info from Rick as lisux will help you!

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
4 posts
Thanks everyone! I'd done an ldd myself but couldn't figure out which package it went with.

I managed to pull the libdb package from houdini and make it work. A few bugs, but seems fine so far.

Now if I could just get it to work on my Win2k box . That's where I started when I finally gave up and went to Linux.
  • Quick Links