Underground Platform - ask for feedback and help

8814   7   1
11 posts
Been modelling an underground platform for a student project. It's a CG environment with live action character integrated later. I have to wrap this up soon and catch up with the rest of the project but unfortunately it's still looking too CG! Any feedback is very welcome and appreciated.

also I'm getting some black dots when rendering the displacement maps - they go away if i decease the displacement amount to very small number which makes the pass useless!

thanks!
519 posts
Try to use displacement bounds, it's an option with the mantra renderer (add parameter to interface). Also check if you haven't by mistake two layers of geometry in the same spot.

Looks interesting!

Cheers,
Hans
11 posts
Hi Hans

Thanks for your reply,
I checked for overlapping geometry and also enabled displacement bound but unfortunately it didn't solve the issue

with displacement bound enabled (value 10)

with displacement bound enabled (value 1)

it looks as if it has no influence at all.
thanks
8525 posts
it all depends on the scale of your scene
the displacement bounds can be even 0.00001
you can turn on verbose output to console for your mantra render (set it to 4 for example) and it'll tell you after the render what was the max displaced value and you can set displacement bounds to that number or a little higher
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
11 posts
@tamte

thanks for the tip,
i played around with the bound value but unfortunately still didn't fix the problem, but it made them smaller in some areas.

i tried rendering via ray tracing instead of micropolygons and this seems to be doing the trick!

Staff
2540 posts
Still a displacement bound issue where you need to increase even more I bet.

Displacement Bounds is in scene Camera units when rendered (which is why it is never a good idea to scale cameras ). As was mentioned above you can enable verbosity to a high level and after the render completes you will see the maximum displace distance in scene Camera units.

Glancing angles on surfaces that are displaced cause lots of grief for MicroPolygon render engines. You can try the pre-dice render property (adding it manually from the Render Properties to your object) to see if that helps if you want to use MicroPolygon rendering for primary samples.

If RT does it with no increase in render times, then that's good and go with that.
There's at least one school like the old school!
11 posts
@jeff

Thanks for your reply;
I'll look into it.
11 posts
hey guys

i tried all the methods -
but i realized the reason that the displacement bounds bound wasn't working for me is becasue of the displacement bounds parameter in the materials i was using.

starting to change that value i began to get some results.
  • Quick Links