best online traning :)

59011   30   5
30 posts
Eagle66
circusmonkey
Well if your already a light wave user and can comp why on earth would you need a tutorial to hold your hand , surely you know exactly what you require from your lighting passes to produce a shot ? .

Houdini is completely different to ALL other 3D App to get the realistic looking details!!! And again: There is not any Houdini Lesson on the Web, which shows a final realisitc looking result, so the workflow is unknown for me.

http://vimeo.com/7612942 [vimeo.com]

Sorry, to much for me to understand sustained, LW, XSI, etc. don't need procedural shading, so it is impossible for me to render realistic results.

Hmm, if you learn renderman, then houdini is very easy to understand.
41 posts
Pagefan
The Dark side is easier, faster, but no, not more powerful it is.

Houdini can do faster, more powerful - but sorry we can't (we won't) show at the moment. It's the secret of the big studios…
33 posts
I don't know but I got some lessons lurking around somewhere!

Check em out.

Khermah

——————————————————————
http://www.youtube.com/user/Khermah [youtube.com]
——————————————————————
41 posts
My words were heard

advanced compositing workflow I - IV
http://vimeo.com/13041691 [vimeo.com]

Thanks to Peter for the series!

Oh, by the way: If you look the four videos, you understand my questions

And if i see the complicated way to add a simple CG-shadow on the original plate its unbelievable how much time you need for this simple effect. In Lightwave, C4D you have 2 switches Enable/disable cast/recieve shadows for this in any Object/Light….
184 posts
arquebus
The book “The Magic of Houdini” is really good, starts you out from nothing and explains everything. It uses version 8 of Houdini, but you can still download that here under support.

Great recommendation. I bought this myself (Amazon…still in stock). An excellent read, very well written and a great primer for a very deep application.

Nobody should be put off by the fact it was written for version 8. There's nothing major missing here other than perhaps Pyro, and to be honest that could do with a book on it's own.

If you're struggling to get your head around some of the Houdini concepts, or even just trying to find a good starting point (so easy to become lost with all the shiny stuff up front), then it's probably just the thing to put you back on track.

“Never give up! never surrender!”
-Jason Nesmith, Galaxy Quest.
23 posts
I recently did the CMIVFX procedural city tutorial, and I think it doubled my last year's worth of Houdini knowledge in its four hours.

Just the right level of detail to follow along, and by the end I had my city totally different than the tutorial's but with a similar workflow.

Gave great familiarity with Image/Compositing/COP, VOP VEX filtering, some easy “from scratch” shaders, and of course plenty of SOP work.

(And digital-asset-izing, too.)

Uses version 8.0, kind of fun to see, but no problem to mentally update to 10.0.

I may check out more of their video content; this one was very very good!
330 posts
polyomino
I recently did the CMIVFX procedural city tutorial, and I think it doubled my last year's worth of Houdini knowledge …

I may check out more of their video content; this one was very very good!

agreed ;

i own the whole Houdini Bundle ( except the last one , Proced.Cities ) and i'm very happy with the content .

those make Houdini a lot more palpable for me especially when video sessions have a “ target ” .

my suggestion would be this ;

lets test through a poll “ what apprentice users need from a Houdini video tutorial ” . this might be useful not only to SideFX but to official houdini-video-makers too .

short but effective videos could be linked within docs too ( like example scenes ) .

i'm not lazy , but i believe that this could help me ( and others like me ) to gain, a lot faster, confidence with this “ masterpiece of software ” .

.cheers
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
41 posts
zarti
my suggestion would be this ;

lets test through a poll “ what apprentice users need from a Houdini video tutorial ” . this might be useful not only to SideFX but to official houdini-video-makers too .

short but effective videos could be linked within docs too ( like example scenes ) .

i'm not lazy , but i believe that this could help me ( and others like me ) to gain, a lot faster, confidence with this “ masterpiece of software ” .

Read my suggestion in Post No3:

Live Action and CG with Houdini in the Depth
How to take your Houdini 3D models and incorporate them seamlessly into a Live Action HD video.

- Basic Motion Tracking Footage with Syntheyes, Boujou etc. and bring into Houdini
- Adding 3D Objects and realistic Lights (HDRI, Radiosity ) to Scene that work
- In Depth Rendering out the Different Passes
- Compositing all togehter with Fusion or After Effects

There enough short videos on the web but nothing in the Depth!

If you look the last four short Videos from Peter Quint to this Topic (Full Compositing I-IV), you see the problems and the Result is not very realistic…
6 posts
Hello,
Sir oat and Eagle66 you gave very good information. this will really help him and also many persons. thanks for sharing this information.

thanks!!

53 posts
This site might have something to answer your questions

http//www.fxphd.com/courseInfo.php

Check out HOU101 and HOU201.

I haven't tried it but I learned about it from a post on the Houdini Forum.

Hope this helps.

graphos1
85 posts
In my opinion, The HOU 101 is not worth the money. The tutor is without any doubt an experienced Houdini user, but the course has no concept. The paedagogical element is compelety lacking.

The other course (201 - Houdini for TDs) is for more experienced users, definitely nothing for real beginners (But you can learn a lot). I recommend the Peter Quint tutorials and for complete beginners the introductory course on CMIvfx are suited very well. Also the CMI course on particles was very informative to me.

I am really disappointed by the CMI course on Houdni fluid FX, btw. The course is for Houdini 9 and many of the techniques described there do not work in later versions of Houdini, anymore. CMI never answerwed any of my emails to their support, so I have become very cautious with them.

And for the PyroFX course by SideFX…well, I tried to watch this in a whole very often, but I found myself asleep after a couple of minutes. I'd prefer if someone explained a shot that's nearly suitable for production and not something that is like reading out the manual.

The free 3dBuzz courses are also fine, but the guys are bloviating a bit. Probably quite useful if you are new to 3D, but boring for more experienced users.
  • Quick Links