how to set $JOB

15931   8   1
58 posts
simple question:
i tried to change $JOB by putting JOB var in window environment variables (control panel), but i didn't work. So ,how to change/control this var?

thx,
clay~
7725 posts
That should do it. You would need to restart Houdini though.
412 posts
what are you putting in for your variable value?

like for mine, i have JOB set to my desktop because i seem to go there a lot when doing tests (either throwing textures or example files on the desktop)..

so my variable name is: JOB

and my variable value is: %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
Dave Quirus
58 posts
my configuration:
variable name : JOB
variable value : d:\projects

anyway it works for my $HOME, but for some reason it doesn't work for $JOB. i've restarted my comp and still got the same problem.
so my $JOB always points to : CProgram Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 6.1.208
i have no clue…

clay~
412 posts
are you seeing if it works in an already created file or in a new one?

cause if it was created a while back, JOB could have gotten saved to a different location in your global variables.. go to settings->aliases and variables.. under the variables page there should be a job variable with a value for your location it's representing..

but it should work fine for a new file…

did you try a different location just for kicks?
Dave Quirus
58 posts
i see what u mean,
that ‘created file and new file’ gave me the idea.
the problem is : my houdini icon is not a link to the app itself but (i changed it before) it points to my : template001.hipnc
so i didn't realize that i always open template001.hipnc file everytime i double click my houdini icon (i already forgot about it), i was thinking that i just started houdini and start new file.
so since i open this hipnc file, the $JOB is already set. that's why the changes i just made has no effect.

thanx a lot, deecue.

anyway i changed this link because i set that template001.hipnc to a specific UI configuration, and i want to use this config everytime i start houdini.so i open this file and later i save as different name.
in this file, I make same changes like putting very small size background file in my network editor (network editor display option ), so i can change color independently - different from general background color. The problem i don't know how to make this changes permanent.

does anyone know how to save it as default? in viewer display option, there's a button labeled ‘ save as default’ but in network editor display option, this button just doesn't exist.

thanx,
clay~
170 posts
Arrrg. Damn shortcuts.
What I allways do is I cd in to a directory where hip file is and than load the file via command prompt.
The Things I Do For Love!
7725 posts
The background image is saved as a neteditor command in the hip file. If you want to have it on by default for new hip files, then I would suggest putting such a command at the end of your 123.cmd file. Note that the command is desktop specific.
neteditor -b 1 -f default.pic pane3
58 posts
thanx Edward, that's what i'm looking for…
  • Quick Links