Car Rigging

8180   3   0
114 posts
Hi im wondering if anyone knows a good way to rig a car in houdini ? Im trying to create a realistic look with the car body reacting to the suspension.

Also have the wheels rotating in the correct axis with the front wheels also working off a look at constraint for steering, along with the option to add drift to the car (not much).

I have a good understanding how to do this in 3ds max problem is i need to do it in houdini. I have looked at the rigid body method but not wanting a toy car.
242 posts
Lyonz
Hi im wondering if anyone knows a good way to rig a car in houdini ? Im trying to create a realistic look with the car body reacting to the suspension.
I have not done this so I really cant tell if it´s a good way, but I would probobly start in CHOPs to see if I could get something going with the lag and spring operators.
I would also try to build a rig for manual controll on top of that.
114 posts
Thanks for replying i will look into CHOPS and see what i can come up with. Suprised there is no help files on a vehicle object as they are commonly used.
114 posts
I have created a quick setup and looking for ways to setup controllers.

Basically i have set the car to follow a path and used the rays sop to make the path follow the bumps in the road. but not sure how to get the wheels reacting to the bumps ? staying at the correct height for a start and then adding suspension so the body reacts(maybe some type of spring).

Im using $FT to rotate the wheels over time more so on the back to get a realistic effect. Looking into creating a controller for this named MPH so you can set the speed in the viewport interactively.

Not sure why the sphere ive used as a look at contraint is making the wheels filp and move in the wrong direction only wanting them to working in the Y axis.

Lastly looking into creating a drift, going to start looking into the lag option.

Attachments:
Car rig.hipnc (152.5 KB)

• Quick Links