Clean point distribution on a Font SOP?

4671   4   2
87 posts
I'm trying to get a Font SOP to become a clean, evenly distributed set of points along the shape of the letters I'm typing in.
I'm then copying a Line SOP to the resulting points.
What I want is to create about 2x the amount of points I get from the Font SOP by default, but in a nicely distributed fashion, not just a random distribution of points.

The only way I could find to do it so far is to use a Subdivide SOP after the Font SOP, but it creates some really unevenly spread points and it totally screws with the shape of the letters.

What would be a nice clean way to do this?

Thanks!
Alex
696 posts
use the resample sop and adjust the maximum segment lenght, but be aware that it might still mess up the shapes of the letters a bit, specially if the font is not a good quality one to begin with!
I would normally redraw the text myself in the 3D software to have more control, but generally I just use it the way it is
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
87 posts
Yeah, the resample is really messy…Even if I make the Font SOP Bezier only, it really messes up the shape and does not provide a uniform alignment of points…
If anybody is familiar with it, what I'm looking for is the equivalent of C4d's “Uniform” distribution of points on a Spline.

Thanks
Alex
696 posts
what are you trying to achieve with the regular distribution of points?! I mean, why do you need it?
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
87 posts
I want to have a line copied to points on this font SOP to create a form of extruded font but based on lines, not on a poly face.
It seemed to me that the easiest way to do this would be to have clearly distributed points on the font so the lines would copy nicely.

Does that make sense?
  • Quick Links