maya fbx -> houdini bug?

6321   4   3
16 posts
Hello,

just wondering if anyone can confirm this behavior as a bug or if I am doing something wrong.

It seems that when I import an FBX geo cache generated in maya, into houdini (10), it get's offset in time by 1 frame!?

I did a simple ‘sphere moving 10 units’ test and importing back into maya it worked fine, but in houdini frame 1 did not line up with frame 1 any longer.

I had to add an ‘Shift’ chop node with a ‘Start’ value of to get it to line up.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong on import?
I am using the menu item Import-> Filmbox FBX.

cheers
fred
350 posts
It's a known issue, but I'm not sure it happens all the time. It might be related to scene frame rate, though I have not investigated fully at the moment.
Oleg Samus
Software Developer
Side Effects Software Inc.
82 posts
Hi ,
I am facing the same problem as like Fredrick … animation gets offset by 1 frame in houdini when i export FBX from maya. Frame rate is 24fps in both houdini and maya.
I have number of objects and adding shift node to all into CHOPs is bit longer process.

Is there any ways , settings that we can follow during process of exporting ??
iamjaideep80 (Jaideep Khadilkar)
790 posts
I am not sure if this is the same issue, but when importing our camera data into houdini, I always had a 1 frame offset as well. The reason behind it turned out to be the difference between samples and frames.

From memory, so I could be wrong, even when the frames start counting at 1, the samples start at 0. Subtracting 1 from the index when setting the data to the chop track solved this for us.

However, seeing how Side-fx wrote the fbx import, I doubt it would be this problem…

Cheers,
Koen
75 posts
Just ran across this myself,

I had hundreds of little pieces of shattered geo coming in via FBX/vertex cache.

I wrote a quick hcript to add a timeShift node into the stack on each object

opcf /obj/file_fbx/geo_Cached_chunks/pieces/
set list = `execute(“opls -d piece*”)`

foreach node($list)
opcf $node
if(`opexist(“timeshift1”)` !=1) then
opadd -n timeshift
endif
opwire -n “vertex_cache” -0 “timeshift1”
chkey -F ‘$F+1’ timeshift1/frame
opset -d on -r on -t on -e on timeshift1
cd ..