Model challenge

16437   10   2
17 posts
Why not try to make an easy object, who is in on modelling a sand castle..

cheers

ric

(ps. try posting the object so others can learn from it)

bucket is for the die-hards..

winners will get a Houdini Apprentice license :wink:

Attachments:
castle.jpg (43.2 KB)

16 posts
Sounds like fun, though the prize doesn't seem like much. :roll: A sand castle is something that I've wanted to do for some time but have never found the time.
17 posts
hey i am more starved than a starving artist, so actually have no prizes to give. Was doing some max work yesterdaynight so didnt have the time to start on my model, guess my spacenavigator kept me in max.

What i would like to find out with this challenge is:

1) will i be able to pull it off without having proper modelling knowledge in houdini;

2) can i get a decent render out of mantra;

3) can i pull off added effects, lets say sand crumbling off and flying away, or.. water melting down the castle.
16 posts
Ha ha, I can fully understand that! Besides, you don't really need a prize. The real prize is doing well and succeeding.
124 posts
I took a little time and turned out an image. I have attached it below.

Attachments:
Sandcastle.jpg (122.6 KB)
Sand_Castle.hipnc (2.6 MB)

16 posts
That's a nice render, except that it's not realistic. Beach sand appears grainy, not that ‘melted’ look.
124 posts
Does this look better?

Attachments:
Sandcastle_02.jpg (31.8 KB)

133 posts
Nice. But try and add the pertubations of the sand near the objects. Dont just sink them in.
17 posts
hey, forgot about the thread

looks good, was it done completely in houdini?
I agree it looks a bit melted, maybe slightly wet sand, try to focus on tighter edges, beach sand is made up out of tiny cubes, thats why you can buils castles out of them so easily.

I think a grainy specular map would do nicely texturewise, btw it doesnt have to look identical to the example i posted.

Can you give us some insights on your approach so far?

cheers ric

ps: nice canadian flag
124 posts
The forground is all modeled and textured in Houdini. The water and sky where composited in Houdini. Yes, I only used Houdini but I did use a photo as well. I have posted the file above and nothing very fancy. I don't have much time right now but decided to give my head a break from programming so I took a bit of time and did this. I know it is a long way from perfect, just having some fun playing around with it.
156 posts
You should also try to match your lighting to the sky you are using.
Fix the bucket shadow - there's a gap. Also, the castle should have a shadow in the same direction being cast on the ground sand.
I personally like the first sand texture.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
  • Quick Links