Shattering Geometry procedurally

5473   5   1
258 posts
After reviewing the digital tutors dynamics DVD, there is an example of how they shatter an object by using the paint tool to separate the shards out into multiple groups based on color.

This got me thinking on if and how it would be possible to do this by rather than paint use something like a varnoi noise function in vops similar to what frenchie op ( His are the best vtm's out there and I owe him a lot of gratitude for the knowledge he shares) does in his procedural cities dvd's. You would have procedural control over the celular pattern that was generated and use that to somehow manipulate the points to separate the geometry into groups this way.

I am just not sure exactly how to go about it…or is there a better way

s
13 posts
Hi!

This is the samle of image-based fracture. You can use your own image as destruction target or generate procedurally.

I used the procedural generation like on City learning DVD…

Attachments:
consolidate.jpg (61.9 KB)

258 posts
This is what i want to do can you elaborate on your set up a little bit.

s
58 posts
use TRACE SOP
258 posts
Yes I understand the trace sop I think but what I want to do is to affect an already existing piece of geometry not to define geo through a trace sop. Like lets say a cup, is it possible to define shader through vex that will allow me to break that object apart based upon the structure that would be defined by the noise pattern almost like using it as trims.

s
9 posts
You can use cookie sub to break that cup with your trace object like;
- Make a picture for tracing
- Use trace sub then use extrude sub
- Maybe little adjustments with transform sub
- finally use a cookie sub with trace object that you build and cup which you want to break.
  • Quick Links