Things I would like to do with Houdini

3908   2   1
10 posts
Hello everyone
I have a few silly questions
I am a freelance artist, my brother and I own our own company in Norwich, UK.

My current toolset is:
-Softimage XSI FND 6.02
-Blender (which I also teach)
-Combustion 3 (out of maintenace)
-Zbrush

Of course Zbrush is a niche, and Houdini can blatently do everything XSI and Blender can and more!

But my main question is aout 2D compositing, I am still learning little bits of Houdini when I can, but as anyone transferred a 2D based compositing workflow like that of Combustion, and After Effects into Houdini?
1192 posts
Halo (the compositing module of Houdini) is not intended as a full-featured compositor.
Its features are intended mainly for tweaking your renders in post (it has some included operators for that and you have VEX/VOPs available which lets you do whatever you want, it also features a multichannel floating point architecture). It misses things like a decent keyer, tracking or painting. Also, on Windows 32 bit it is quite unreliable, however on XP 64 or Linux it is usable.
For usual compositing tasks you'd still need a stand-alone compositing package (we use After Effects and Nuke here).

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
30 posts
Hey Teatime,

Have a look at an app called FXHOME Visionlab Studio at:

www.fxhome.com

The price is cheap enough relatively and it does a good job. I bought this on offer over Christmas, it was reduced by a big %.

cheers
Aidan
  • Quick Links