Interactive rendering display problem

5852   6   0
6 posts
Hi,

After installing H9.1.124 i am unable to get the interactive rendering to display correctly, while launching a render to a file is all good. I am thinking it is a graphics card issue but would love more input. Below are a series of images showing the results of rendering form different places for a test scene i made.

System: XP pro service pack 2
2x AMd 244 processes
2.0 GB RAM
Graphics: 3D Labs Wildcat Realizm 200

I have also attached the hip file note it uses included materials in there default install locations.

Thanks for your time
Karlos
Pic1 - mplay launched from bottom right corner icon Left click to launch output.

Pic2 -mplay again mid render

Pic 3 Using render region note rendering correctly

Pic 4 Render to file.
Edited by - March 12, 2008 08:23:37

Attachments:
testScene.hipnc (897.7 KB)
pics.zip (330.2 KB)

341 posts
I had problems myself but i downloaded your file and it works fine in 9.1.176

Good Luck
Jens Martensson
Effects Supervisor @ Weta FX
6 posts
Hi,

I updated to 9.1.179 but it has made no difference. Has anyone seen this trouble before, could it be an openGL implementation problem with my card?

If so why not H8, i have looked for new drivers but they haven't changed in a while 2006.

Thanks again
Karlos
Staff
1072 posts
That's odd. Are the files correct when saved from the interactive mplay?

From the images, it looks like a problem with mplay displaying the image. In mplay, hit ‘d’ to open the Display Options, and click on the Video Card Options… button on the first tab. You might be able to find something in there which may help.
Staff
5158 posts
The default data format for output in mantra changed from 8b int to 16b FP from H8 to H9. Most graphics cards support this (indeed we query the driver for whether this format is supported). You should be able to get around this by changing Mantra's output to 32b FP or 8b int.
6 posts
Hi and thanks,

At this stage no luck, i tried setting mantra to 8 bit and set the display/video card options of mplay to best compatibility with no change.

What i did notice was if i start mplay independent of Houdini it all works correctly, it loads images and displays them with out trouble with the best hardware setting.

When i have opened mplay through an interactive render from houdini, it will not even display the same file as above and the icons words etc are distorted. I have included an image of that

Thanks again
Karlos

Attachments:
pic5.jpg (75.6 KB)

6 posts
Hi guys,

The latest installment i have found that if i change the quantization of mantra from 16bit float down to 16 bit integer the render progresses as you would expect.
I thought therefore i had hit a max level for my graphics card, but no ( at least to my limited understanding ), if i changed the quantization of mantra 32 bit float, we are all good again.

So i am happy again i can work around the problem, i am curious if someone can explain it to me.

Thanks again
Karlos
  • Quick Links