Clump Radius Overlap

2990   2   0
72 posts
Hi,

I seem to be getting ‘flickering’ of hairs where clumps overlap. I've attached a file with the problem. You can see it in openGl and renders.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Cheers

J

Attachments:
clump_overlap.hip (75.3 KB)

john @ hydrastudios
Staff
329 posts
protean
I seem to be getting ‘flickering’ of hairs where clumps overlap. I've attached a file with the problem. You can see it in openGl and renders.

Any ideas why this is happening?

There are a two issues.

1) The Rest Position SOP should be used whenever the skin is animated. Without this, flickering can occur due to numerical precision issues. This is one source of the flickering in your example. The “Animating with fur” page in the fur tutorial illustrates how to use the Rest Position SOP.

2) The “clumporigin” attribute maps clump curves to a position on the rest skin. Flickering will also occur if the “clumporigin” values change each frame (ie. the clump regions move on the character). This second source of flickering can be fixed by removing the “clumporigin” string from the “Vector Attributes” parameter in the attribreorient1 node.
Edited by - March 24, 2008 14:34:18
72 posts
Thanks.. just found the 1st solution though I wasn't aware of the second you mentioned.

Cheers

J
john @ hydrastudios
  • Quick Links