Fatal Bug with PolySplit Tool

6613   7   0
405 posts
When working with Houdini 6 Master and not the Beta with a PolyMesh the PolySplit tools will sometimes crash Houdini without warning. I am using Windows 2000 Pro. Also a problem with the PolySplit seeing the other edge of the PolyMesh at times. Although this problem might have something to do with Culling. I am not sure at this time. I just wanted to make you aware of it if you were not already.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler 8)
276 posts
Hello,

Do you have a series of steps that can reproduce the crash? That would of great help.

Thanks very much,
George.
405 posts
I did about 50 PolySplits in a row. Maybe it has to do with my Geforce 3 Card. It might not be compatable with Houdini 6. On another instance I was Panning and Houdini Crashed the Whole Windows 2000 Pro. If you want a copy of my Hipnc file I will be happy to give it to you.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
57 posts
hi nate,

if you can nail down a series of steps that will reproduce a crash, please do attach the hipfile and describe the steps involved. if it is a random occurrence that can't be reliably repeated, there isn't much that can be done to diagnose it.

thanks

will
405 posts
Ok it had to do with my 3D Card! I am using a Asus Geforce 3 V8200. At the Resolution 1280 x 1024 with 32 bit Colors the card is not fast enough to handle Houdini. It works great however at 1024 x 768 with 32 bit Colors. That fixed all of the crashing! I am going to replace that card when I go to siggraph. I am going to be using Mandrake Linux and I was going to get a NVIDIA FX 1000 card but would you suggest the ATI's Card instead? Sorry to bother you further.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler :idea:
405 posts
Well it seems the more geometry I add and the more nodes I add the more it crashes. Maybe it has to do with the amount of ram on my 3D Card or something. It wrote a log file but I don't know where it put it. Also I found a folder called error. Would either of theses be useful to you. I tried locking the nodes will that increase performance?

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

P.S. Sorry to bother you again. I gained for a while by lowering the resolution. Love your program. See you at Siggraph 8)
276 posts
Hi Nate,

As a general answer, I would say that locking nodes and deleting history will increase performance. I doubt it will solve your graphics card issues however. I'd hate to suggest it, but have you tried using different versions of your graphics card drivers?

Take care,
George.
710 posts
MatrixNAN, are you using the drivers that came with your video card? If so you could try upgrading to newer Detonator drivers, should give you a good boost.
btw I'm using a GeForce2 at 1600x1200 32bit colors with no problems in Houdini (on win2k pro), your card should be able to handle 1280x1024 easily.
  • Quick Links