Houdini Scripting

5767   4   2
3 posts
Hi, I'm new to Houdini. I was just wondering where does the scripts gets logged :?: (just like in Maya or XSI). That is to say how to access it's script editor :?:

Thanks.
639 posts
hi,

press alt+shift+t to open up the textport editor.
or
go to Windows > TExtport
or
make a new window pane, then go to Pane > Textport

DOes it help?

on the side note, don't bother comparing MEL with Hscript. In my currently experience thus far, HScript is more like UNIX's shell script. Nevertheless, it's still powerful in different ways.
4140 posts
Yes, to chorus that comment , it sounds like you're looking for the equivalent of a Mel script editor - no such thing really exists per se in Houdini because you don't need it. However, yes, you can use textport/hscript commands to re-create things that are built in Houdini, like Mel, but with Mel you *have* to write scripts to create procedural, repeatable things. In Houdini it's all built into the interface. Hscript/textport scripts are typically used for rendering setups or certain custom interface setups not already covered by Houdini(not many of those ).
There was a thread recently on the user list where someone was asking about this. It really has to do with learning how Houdini works first, the paradigm is different than Maya/Soft, and all your questions will be answered… Try to think of it like this: everything you see in front of you *is* a script - a script with a GUI. You could build things with an hscript, but far more often than not, simply building an object/whatever and saving it as an OTL is *far* more flexible and user-friendly.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
3 posts
hi guys,
Thanks for your replies. I've been recently watching the 3DBuzz networks video and how you could use it to create and navigate the interface. That was a real eye opener. Houdini is so different (for good). But ultimatly it gets the job done…

I am from Maya API background. Can you guys also tell me something about it and how different it is from the Maya API. I think SideFx should at least include the HDK docs in the Apprintice edition.

Thanks.
Staff
2540 posts
Can you guys also tell me something about it (HDK) and how different it is from the Maya API.
The Houdini HDK is the actual code used to build that particular release with tools that allow you to read the headers and build your own tools, mainly operators to be used seamlessly in Houdini. Good C++ coding skills are required.

I believe the Maya API is not the actual code but a language that can be used to build tools that interface with Maya. It is very well documented and it needs to be as this is the only option for many studios.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links