wierd behavior of cookie sop, return nothing from 2nd input!

3506   6   1
9 posts
I tried to search “cookie sop”, but it gave me 2xxx matches, so ill save myself the trouble and ask away.

what i did is use cookie sop shatter a simple ball with a grid(fractal), but after i got 5 or 6 pieces(these 5 or 6 pieces can be done with no prob) of the ball i can never get anything out of the second input(keep inside B, here i always use grid as 2nd input, and i already tried to move and rotate the grid, but its no use), why is that? anybody have the same problem?

Thanks!!
2199 posts
You can try fusing the result between cookie sops that sometimes helps
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
9 posts
Thanks for the tip Simon, but its no use, I still cant get anything out of 2nd input(grid)

And I also found how many pieces is irrelevant, what matters is which branch you are working on.

eg.
I have a ball and grid, I use grid to cut ball, and the ball become two pieces, and you continue to cut left branch(keep inside A and keep inside B, from here on i will refer it as left branch), there will be no problem, but when you switch to cut the right branch(keep inside B and keep outside A), then you will get nothing from grid(I always use ball as 1st input and grid as 2nd input). Fuse or not wont make any defferent.

And I also wander, is there a easy way to cut something into pieces? Like what maya can do, or some tricks like copy and stamp, but I think copy stamp trick is not that usefull when you dealing with cookie SOP.

Thanks in advance!!
2199 posts
Check this link out, it might help you.
http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=7105&hl=fracture [forums.odforce.net]

It may be the primitive normals on the cut surface on the right hand branch need flipping before the fuse.
9 posts
Thanks very much !!

It is normal problem. After I reverse the normal, everything is OK now. Thanks again!

Havent try that plugin yet, but thanks for the link!
2199 posts
First thing to check in any modelling situation where things aren't behaving themselves is whether the prim normals are all pointing in the same direction, usually outwards. Watch out for point normals too, if you use them generally you'll want them to match the direction of the prim ones.
9 posts
Thanks for the advice Simon!
I sure will check them in my further project.
Thanks very much!
  • Quick Links