very slow RBD solving

7276   4   1
42 posts
Hi to all,

I experimeting with Houdini's App. (9.1.244) RBD features.
Unfortunatly the RBD solving of each frame takes quite a while even for quite simple scenes ( ball hits a fractured RBD object composed out of 10-15 cubes).

I'm on a dual XEON 5140 @2.33Ghz with 2GB Ram, running on Xp Pro 32 Bit.

Is this normal ( things look to run much faster on the tutorial videos, I'm follwoing!!). In general don't feel any slow downs while using houdini, so I assume it can't be a firewall or something.

thanks to all
1631 posts
Hi,

If it's possible, please post an example hip file so others can take a look.

Cheers!
steven
42 posts
ok here is the file.

simple domino effect, that starts after hit by a ball.

BTW: the domino bricks continue to intersect each other, nevertheless that they are fracutered objects. how can I solve that?

thanks to everybody!

Attachments:
domino_002.hipnc (127.3 KB)

56 posts
First off, laser scan was off and invert sign was on. With laser scan on and invertsign off it sims slightly faster.

In the case of the RBD fractured the sdf generation is applied on a group basis, so there is no need to turn off the laser scan - I assume it was turned off because of the gaps in between dominos. Also, invert sign - I rarely touch this guy.

In any case, RBD Fractured should work, but, i would say RBD Point object would work better. Check the speed difference as well as the improvements to the SDF collision field.

With regards to the dominos intersecting, I've set the surface representation to edges - using edges to collide is slower, but with low res geo it does help the sim become more accurate.

HTHs!

GW

Attachments:
domino_002_120_gw.hipnc (149.2 KB)

42 posts
thank you very much!

have to play around with your suggestions!
  • Quick Links