anyone install on Virtual PC?

7792   3   2
41 posts
I love Houdini, espeically now that the tutorialfiles are online (thanks)

Has anyone tried installing it on a Mac with Virtual PC??

Thanks, adam
3 posts
atracksler
I love Houdini, espeically now that the tutorialfiles are online (thanks)

Has anyone tried installing it on a Mac with Virtual PC??

Thanks, adam

A) VirtualPC does not support OpenGL or any form of 3d acceleration for that matter.

B) Even if it did, how good would Houdini run under VirtualPC's emulated graphics card (I think it emulates an S3 Virge or similar).

C) VirtualPC, VMWare and every other similar product are slow. Really slow. They are made for running business apps (and even those run slow, at best). Running Houdini under it would probably be one of the most painfull experiences of your life.

For the price of VirtualPC ($129 by itself or over $200 with XP or Win2k) plus a bit, you can probably pick up a decent used P3 or Athlon with 512M and a Geforce2 which would run circles around VirtualPC performance-wise. And you would be keeping your sanity to boot.

SatoriGFX.
344 posts
I know Linux is available for Macs, does it have support for hardware acceleration? It might be better and easier to set up a dualboot OS9/OSX/Linux than mucking with virtual PC or building a second PC.
7024 posts
The Linux on Mac thing wouldn't work, since Mac's use G4 (or whatever) CPUs and Houdini is compiled for i386 on Linux, meaning you have to use a Pentium or Athlon. Sorry!

Cheers,

Peter B
  • Quick Links