DOPS, POPS and attributes - a question or three!

3438   3   1
112 posts
When creating a fluid sim,I see in the scene level that a DOP network is created with a bunch of attributes for vel, density etc…

I can reference this information is a volume shader, so I get its adding an attribute that can be used.

1. Is this its only function?

2. Can I use these attributes to influence another RBD sim or something, how do you go about that?

3. Can I do similar things with POP nets and use Particle AGE attibutes within shaders etc…?

Sorry so many questions…so many Houdini discoveries still to make!

BTW, I really do appreciate all the help from this forum in learning Houdini - I would be in dark about so many things with it - many thanks!
112 posts
I've made an attempt to get the velocity from my smoke object to affect some geometry, but for some reason I'm getting an error when I try to merge in the field force.

Maybe it because my source object is a missing something? :?

Attachments:
ExplosionTest.hipnc (416.0 KB)

1908 posts
The problem is that you cannot merge data with objects. In order to apply the field force, you need to wire the rbd object steam into the field force. Also, I recommend you alter the input order of the merge so that the smoke solver is connected last. There was a bug fixed recently where the smoke object wasn't ordered correctly.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
112 posts
Thanks Graham!

That's got things moving, although not how I expected. Is there a guidline as to how big your forces should be compared to the size of your objects?

Attachments:
ExplosionTestv2.hipnc (434.4 KB)

• Quick Links