How to create a sky with clouds in Houdini?

13011   6   1
5 posts
Hy, I'm new to Houdini and i would like to know how to make sky for a scene with some clouds. Or just the sky, because i found some tutorials on how to create clouds.
7 posts
Hello,

seems we are still alone with this question. I'd also be glad to find a way how to do this.
revanimus

“No man ever creates anything. He simply rearranges what is already here.” –Hubert Laws
2624 posts
I always try to break the problem down then I can ask a specific question as often or not there is never a one size fits all solution.

rob
Gone fishing
7 posts
Hm, that seems to be a good hint. Fits well to the nature of houdini.
So where could this specific problem be? When I compare with skies in vue I think the main problem could be to render volumetric clouds in a reasonable time. Besides I still didn't manage to assign a cloud material to an object. But that probably could be solved by reading the forgotten manual:-)
I think I could think about this all a bit longer. Maybe I would then come back with a specific question.

Thanx!
revanimus

“No man ever creates anything. He simply rearranges what is already here.” –Hubert Laws
519 posts
Just try to make a setup and if you are stuck post your hip file so others can tinker with it or give you suggestions to improve it.
7 posts
I am an absolute beginner in Houdini and I don't even know how to assign the volumetric cloud material to an object. I've already textured and shaded some objects but in this case I don't know how.
revanimus

2624 posts
I am an absolute beginner in Houdini and I don't even know how to assign the volumetric cloud material to an object. I've already textured and shaded some objects but in this case I don't know how.

Well you should checking out all the basic video tutorials on volumes. located on this website. http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=14&Itemid=132 [sidefx.com]

I would use them as your first port of call when trying to learn something new.

rob
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links