Mac operators menu (TAB menu) problems

10955   18   3
581 posts
Hi SESI
I am using the new mac version on my leopard with H9.5.187 and I get some very weird redraw errors.
I have had this problems with previous versions of H9.5 including the production build (170)
The worst of them is the redraw of the popup operators menu, the TAB menu, if I open it, in the viewr or in the network editor, and then begin to type to get all the commands that begins with some letter I get a blank submenu. Look at the image attached.
This happens in any context except DOPs where I get a weird submenu that doesn't include all the operators correctly, for example if I press g it goesn't include the Group DOP but includes all the Gas Solver X DOps. Again loook attached image.
Also II have some problems in the stowbars redraw.
I am using a MacBook Pro with a Nvidia 8600M GT, and Leopard 10.5.4.
Thanks

Attachments:
DOPTabMenu.jpg (66.0 KB)
tabMenuProblem.jpg (72.6 KB)

Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
581 posts
Are there nobody suffereing similar problems??????
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
50 posts
I have this also.
234 posts
Same problem on macbook pro. It happens from time to time. I wonder is it because of houdini or because of os x….
581 posts
Yes I am also using a macbook pro, and I don't think that is a problem in the mac, other graphic tools like Maya, shake or nuke which use opengl don't have this redraw problems.
I my opinion is a problem of houdini with mac opengl or other drawing library,is normal, is the first version on this platform, but is very annoying because the only workaround is to restart the application.
And I forgot to add that the ladder handler used to change the parameters also have a lot of redraw problems.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
234 posts
Since I installed 9.5.265 built, I didn't experienced any of above problems.
So, nise people from sesi, whatever you did , it's good
24 posts
Hello djorzgul,
What is your system spec? Are you on a Mac Book Pro as well? I would love to know what your full system spec is, including memory, graphics card, processor, version of OSX, and any problems that you encountered while installing Houdini on your MAC. Please respond, I am eager to get to work!!!
581 posts
djorzgul
Since I installed 9.5.265 built, I didn't experienced any of above problems.
So, nise people from sesi, whatever you did , it's good
Yes this problems seems to be solved, but still there is a lot of problems with the user interface preview.
For example, another very annoying problem is that the ladder handler sometimes stuck in one parameter of an operator and any time you open the parameters for this operator it is still there, again you have to restart tosolve it.
But thanks for solving the menus problem SESI.
I suppose that they are concerned about this ui interface in the mac, and hope that they will be solved in the future.
I will continue submitting problems …..
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
234 posts
macbook pro it is, far from ideal and here are the specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Graphic: GeForce 8600M GT 128mb

os x Leopard 10.5.5
203 posts
I had it on my computer with Windows Vista, so it isn't just Mac. But I recently updated Houdini and the problem is gone.
Most of My Houdini Renders [flickr.com]
My System [evga.com]
581 posts
jeje yesterday I get the same problem again.
It seems to happen being in a VOP network and trying to open menues typing the initial letter of an operator, then i get the blank submenu, instead of the submenu with all the operators which begins with this letter.
This ause all the submanues in all contexts tat shows operator from the latest typed letter to fail.
At least the submenues for the different sections seems to work properly.
Working wit the 269 release
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
154 posts
hey all

anyone else experience random freezes when placing nodes when using the mac os ?

I've got houdini on my mac book pro and this problem has been around since the beta.

I'm hoping someone else shares this experience with me cause i hope its not something related to my OS installation.

thanks in advance

brian
581 posts
aracid
hey all
anyone else experience random freezes when placing nodes when using the mac os ?
I've got houdini on my mac book pro and this problem has been around since the beta.
I'm hoping someone else shares this experience with me cause i hope its not something related to my OS installation.
thanks in advance
brian
Yes I have experienced things like this, I guess the everything is related with the Houdini having problems with the opengl in the mac
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
2624 posts
Just thought I would add to this little osx thread

While poly modelling :-

Edge selection set to front facing only does not seem to work on the latest daily build 9.5.269. It selects just back facing edges. Can anyone else confirm ?

Also I get the tool bars blanking white when using the space bar and the tab menu still goes blank sometimes

Rob
Gone fishing
234 posts
well I'm still on 9.5.265 and all “whitening” problems are still very, very rare, and in general, I just have to press tab once more to make things work again.

no freezing when placing nodes, never (hope it'll stay like that)

and edge selecting is working just fine…
581 posts
I still have have a problem with blank TAB menu, go to a VOP network press TAB and then the first letter of the operator you want to get, the menu opens as expected, then the second to get a better list of operators and then the menu goes blank, and from this he menu tab for other networks don't work correctly for the rest of your session, you have to restart Houdini.
Maybe is only me I don't know ….
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
2624 posts
Hi ,
I get the tab menu error on 9.5.276. in vops ……..

Rob
Gone fishing
234 posts
I couldn't reproduce that… everything works fine.
265 build
2624 posts
I just thought I would add to this thread about mac OSX issues / questions. I seem unable to launch 2 versions of houdini. Silly I know !

answer:-

If you launch Houdini by typing ‘houdini’ from the shell that is opened by running the Houdini Shell.terminal in the Houdini 9.5.xxx folder in Applications, you can launch as many instances of Houdini as you want.

Rob
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links