May I import hip from nc-version to houdini ?

11389   5   0
24 posts
To ALL :
I use Houdini v6 non-commercial at home . May i import the hipnc to houdini v5 at office ?

Thanks

Winnie
27 posts
You can open or merge a 6th version.hipnc file with 5th version
if all of the file's node can been accepted in Houdini5.x.
Staff
3455 posts
you can open a *.hipnc file in a commercial version of Houdini > BUT > that session of Houdini becomes a non-commercial session

you can open a *.hip file in Houdini Apprentice, but if you save it you can only save a *.hipnc (non-commercial file)

read all about it here [sidefx.com]
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
405 posts
You can get it converted by sidefx but you will have to pay them money. Well not for the first time, but everytime after the first time you will. I can't remember if you have to buy houdini though in order to get it converted.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
74 posts
What about using the OpScript command in hscript?
The opscript command let you save any part of a Houdini network as
a set of hscript commands by redirecting the standard output of opscript ( with options ) to a file.
You can then source this script from ‘i suppose’ any Houdini other version, since it's just a ascii file.

Yet there may be some limitations: for example some commands may not be the same across different versions. Maybe it doesn't work with OTLs and maybe it doesn't save things like hotkeys or preferences.
Anyway, i suggest you to have a look at this powerful opscript command.

hint: if you save a whole scene, that is differents networks, save the different
networks separately , and be careful that then, you'll have to source some networks first since for
example SHOP, SOP, COP, POP may rely on VOP,
so source the VOP first!

Since i only use the apprentice version, i can just hope that this will work for your case.
I can't see why it couldn't!
The other question : is this allowed.
Staff
3455 posts
well…the software will allow you to do it….but it does go against the spirit of the Apprentice version (which is the best ‘demo’ version out there)…

from the Apprentice FAQ :
Q: It seems like geometry files and VEX code can be exported from Houdini Apprentice Edition and opened in commercial Houdini. Is this true?

A. The Houdini Apprentice Program encourages you to experiment with the pipeline integration available with these export functions. Please be reminded that your participation in the program is under a non-commercial license and files should only be used for learning purposes.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links