Primitive Normals

4368   6   1
245 posts
Dear Readers:

I have an object which I appended a point SOP to to force all normals to the +Z direction. How can I get the primitive Normals to follow? Some of the primitives move along with the point SOP but not all of them. (I would like everything to be uniform in the +Z direction). Not sure how to use the prim expression with variables like $PR.

Sincerely,
markerline

Attachments:
point_sop_error.jpg (113.0 KB)

345 posts
You're not able to do that. Prim normals describes faces direction - the only way to change them is to to modify direction of a face.
245 posts
. . .
So, how do I modify the direction of the faces that have been extruded? It would seem impossible to hand-select each face individually and scale it to (-1). Is there a procedural way to do this?

Sincerely,
markerline
1908 posts
Try the Reverse sop. It reverses the direction of the primitive faces, aka their normals.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
345 posts
Have a look at the group geometry sop -> third tab (normals) you can group faces pointing certain direction.
245 posts
Still no dice. I tested the reverse SOP on a simple Box SOP and extruded this. I saw that it modified the result when I applied “Reverse” as opposed to “No Change”. But for some reason when I group the desired primitives in my file and apply the reverse SOP it does not reverse the normals. Perhaps I have bad geometry?

Sincerely,
markerline
245 posts
Update . . .

I didn't see that last post by kuba. The group SOP did it where I went to the “Normals” tab and changed the spread angle to something less than 180 so that only certain prim's got reversed. THANKS a mil!

-markerline
  • Quick Links